Normalization of the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator

In summary, the textbook states that to solve for ##N_\pm##, you need to take the matrix representation of the ladder operators ##J_{\pm}##. The first step is to multiply the first equation by the hermitian conjugate of ##J_\pm|jm\rangle##.
PatsyTy

Homework Statement

Obtain the matrix representation of the ladder operators ##J_{\pm}##.

Homework Equations

Remark that ##J_{\pm} | jm \rangle = N_{\pm}| jm \pm 1 \rangle##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The textbook states ##|N_{\pm}|^2=\langle jm | J_{\pm}^\dagger J_{\pm} | jm \rangle##, from here it is straightforward:

##\langle jm | J_{\mp} J_{\pm} | jm \rangle = \langle jm | (J^2 - J_z^2 \pm J_z | jm \rangle = \langle jm | \big( j(j+1)|jm\rangle-m^2\hbar^2 |jm\rangle \pm m \hbar^2 | jm \rangle\big)##

Giving us ##|N_\pm |^2=j(j+1)-\hbar^2 m (m\pm 1)##

What I do not understand is the very first step where we write out ##|N_{\pm}|^2=\langle jm | J_{\pm}^\dagger J_{\pm} | jm \rangle## from the given equation ##J_{\pm} | jm \rangle = N_{\pm}| jm \pm 1 \rangle##.

I have tried multiplying the first equation by the hermitian conjugate of ##J_\pm|jm\rangle## giving

##\langle jm | J_\mp J_\pm | jm \rangle = \langle jm | J_\mp N_{\pm}| jm \pm 1 \rangle = N_{\pm} \langle jm | J_\mp | jm \pm 1 \rangle ## however I don't think this is correct as I don't see how I can get a second ##N_\pm## from ##\langle jm | J_\mp | jm \pm 1 \rangle ##.

The text gives the explanation "Since both ##|jm\rangle## and ##|jm+1\rangle## are normalized to unity..." and that's the justification for this step. I don't fully trust this qualitative description so I am trying to write it out mathematically. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
PatsyTy said:
I have tried multiplying the first equation by the hermitian conjugate of ##J_\pm|jm\rangle## giving

##\langle jm | J_\mp J_\pm | jm \rangle = \langle jm | J_\mp N_{\pm}| jm \pm 1 \rangle = N_{\pm} \langle jm | J_\mp | jm \pm 1 \rangle ## however I don't think this is correct as I don't see how I can get a second ##N_\pm## from ##\langle jm | J_\mp | jm \pm 1 \rangle ##.

Here's the part that you are missing: For any matrix element of the form [itex]\langle A |O|B \rangle[/itex], we have:

[itex]\langle A |O|B \rangle = \langle B |O^\dagger|A \rangle^* [/itex]

So in particular,
[itex]\langle jm | J_\mp | jm \pm 1 \rangle = \langle jm\pm 1 | J_\pm | jm \rangle^*[/itex]

See if that helps.

Likes PatsyTy
stevendaryl said:
Here's the part that you are missing: For any matrix element of the form [itex]\langle A |O|B \rangle[/itex], we have:

[itex]\langle A |O|B \rangle = \langle B |O^\dagger|A \rangle^* [/itex]

So in particular,
[itex]\langle jm | J_\mp | jm \pm 1 \rangle = \langle jm\pm 1 | J_\pm | jm \rangle^*[/itex]

See if that helps.

Thanks! I got it right away with that.

1. What is the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator?

The Angular Momentum Ladder Operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of a quantum system. It is represented by the symbol L and is composed of two components, L+ and L-, which correspond to increasing and decreasing the angular momentum, respectively.

2. How is the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator normalized?

The Angular Momentum Ladder Operator is normalized by dividing it by the square root of the product of the Planck's constant and the reduced Planck's constant, also known as the reduced Planck's constant. This normalization factor ensures that the operator has a unitless value and accounts for the discreteness of the angular momentum values in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of normalizing the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator?

Normalizing the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator is important because it allows us to accurately describe the angular momentum of a quantum system. It also ensures that the operator follows the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the commutation relations, and allows for the calculation of physical quantities such as energy levels and transition probabilities.

4. How does the normalization of the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator relate to the Uncertainty Principle?

The normalization of the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator is related to the Uncertainty Principle through the commutation relation between the angular momentum and the position operators. By normalizing the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator, we are able to accurately calculate the uncertainties in the position and momentum of a quantum system, as dictated by the Uncertainty Principle.

5. Can the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator be normalized for any quantum system?

Yes, the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator can be normalized for any quantum system that exhibits angular momentum. This includes particles such as electrons, atoms, and molecules, as well as larger systems such as nuclei and even galaxies. The normalization process remains the same, but the values of the reduced Planck's constant may differ depending on the specific system being studied.