Normed vector space: convex set

In summary: Then use the triangle inequality on that and see if it helps.In summary, we are trying to show that the closed unit ball in a normed vector space is convex, meaning that any two points within the ball have a line segment connecting them where every point on that segment has a norm of at most 1. The equation for the line segment between two points x and y is given by x+t(y-x), where t is a parameter between 0 and 1. This equation holds in Euclidean space, but it is also true in a general normed vector space. To show that the norm is less than or equal to 1, we can use the triangle inequality on the expression (1-t)x + ty and simplify to get
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Show that the closed unit ball {x E V:||x||≤1} of a normed vector space, (V,||.||), is convex, meaning that if ||x||≤1 and ||y||≤1, then every point on the line segment between x and y has norm at most 1.
(hint: describe the line segment algebraically in terms of x and y and a parameter t.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the line segment between x and y, is it described by x+t(y-x), 0≤t≤1? I'm pretty sure this is correct in [tex]R^n[/tex], but is it still true in a general normed vector space? Does it still describe a straight line? Why or why not?

Also, how can we prove that the norm of it is ≤1?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is the equation for a line segment in Euclidean space (see the last part of http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ConvexSet.html )
I have not thought about this much but what have you tried in showing the norm is less than 1? Have you used the triangle inequality? That was the first thing that came to my mind

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the equation for a line segment in Euclidean space Rn, but is it still true in a GENERAL normed vector space? If so, why??
In a general space, I think the norms are all screwed up and skewed, so does it even describe a straight line anymore?

About showing the norm is ≤1, I tried the triangle inequality, but I don't think it works.
||x+t(y-x)|| ≤ ||x|| + t||y-x|| ≤ 1 + t||y-x||

That is the definition of a convex set in a vector space I've always used. It is also in Royden's Real Analysis, in the section on Banach Spaces.

kingwinner said:
About showing the norm is ≤1, I tried the triangle inequality, but I don't think it works.
||x+t(y-x)|| ≤ ||x|| + t||y-x|| ≤ 1 + t||y-x||

Try writing it as (1-t)x + ty first.

1. What is a normed vector space?

A normed vector space is a mathematical concept that combines the properties of a vector space and a norm, which is a function that assigns a non-negative value to each vector in the space. This allows for the measurement of the magnitude or length of a vector in the space.

2. What is a convex set?

A convex set is a subset of a vector space where any two points in the set can be connected by a straight line that lies entirely within the set. In other words, a convex set is a set of points that does not have any indentations or "dips".

3. How are normed vector spaces and convex sets related?

In a normed vector space, a convex set can be defined as a set of points where the line segment connecting any two points in the set is also contained within the set. This means that the set is closed under linear combinations, making it a fundamental concept in normed vector spaces.

4. What are some examples of normed vector spaces and convex sets?

Some examples of normed vector spaces include Euclidean spaces, function spaces, and sequence spaces. Examples of convex sets within these spaces include spheres, cubes, and half-spaces.

5. What are the practical applications of normed vector spaces and convex sets?

Normed vector spaces and convex sets are essential concepts in many fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They have applications in optimization problems, functional analysis, and geometric modeling, among others.