Solve Challenging Limit Homework: 2

• Thread starter sponsoredwalk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the problem is to find the limit of the given expression using algebraic manipulations. The answer is 2. After several attempts, the expression can be simplified to 108x(2+x)/((x-1)(1-x+x^2)^3). The solution is found by factoring x^3 + 1.
sponsoredwalk

Homework Statement

Find this crazy limit using algebraic manipulations. I've tried quite a bit of stuff and keep getting lost, can you recommend anything?

The answer is 2.

Homework Equations

[tex] \lim_{x \to - 1} \frac{108(x^2 \ + \ 2x)(x \ + \ 1)^3}{(x^3 \ + \ 1)^3(x \ - \ 1)} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \lim_{x \to - 1} \frac{108(x^2 \ + \ 2x)(x \ + \ 1)^2(x \ + \ 1)}{(x^3 \ + \ 1)^3(x \ - \ 1)} [/itex]

[itex] \lim_{x \to - 1} \frac{108(x^2 \ + \ 2x)(x ^2\ + \ 2x \ + \ 1)(x \ + \ 1)}{(x^3 \ + \ 1)^3(x \ - \ 1)} [/itex]

[itex] \lim_{x \to - 1} \frac{108(x^2 \ + \ 2x)(x ^3\ + \ 3x^2 \ + \ 3x \ + \ 1)}{(x^3 \ + \ 1)^3(x \ - \ 1)} [/itex]

If I were to keep going expanding I'll get x^10 on the bottom and x^5 on the top, it just gets so hairy & I can't find any commonality.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simplify it to

[tex] \frac{108 x (2+x)}{(x-1) \left(1-x+x^2\right)^3} [/tex]

Ahh! I should have just realized to factor x³ + 1! So simple now thank you :)

1. What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is a fundamental concept that refers to the value that a function approaches as its input (x) approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the notation "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. How do I solve challenging limit homework problems?

Solving challenging limit homework problems requires a good understanding of the basic principles of limits, such as the limit laws and techniques for evaluating limits. It also helps to practice with different types of limit problems and to use visual aids, such as graphs, to better understand the concept.

3. What are some common techniques for evaluating limits?

Some common techniques for evaluating limits include direct substitution, factoring, rationalizing, and using trigonometric identities. Other techniques, such as L'Hopital's rule and the squeeze theorem, can also be useful for more challenging limit problems.

4. How can I check my answers for limit homework problems?

One way to check your answers for limit homework problems is to use a graphing calculator or an online graphing tool to plot the function and see if the limit matches your solution. You can also plug in values for x that are close to the limit point and compare the results to your answer.

5. What are some real-world applications of limits?

Limits have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, limits are used to calculate velocity and acceleration in physics, to design bridges and buildings in engineering, and to model supply and demand in economics. They are also used in computer science and data analysis to analyze and predict trends in data sets.