Not sure how to start this one any hints would be most helpful

• Thread starter dstahn
  • Start date
In summary, the cable of a 2017-kg elevator has broken, causing it to move downward at a steady speed of 1.64 m/s. The safety braking system works on friction to prevent the downward speed from increasing. The rate at which the braking system is converting mechanical energy to thermal energy can be found by using the equation Fr*v, where Fr is the frictional force and v is the velocity. The relationship between mechanical energy and thermal energy is unclear in this scenario.
dstahn
The cable of a 2017-kg elevator has broken, and the elevator is moving downward at a steady speed of 1.64 m/s. A safety braking system that works on friction prevents the downward speed from increasing. At what rate is the braking system converting mechanical energy to thermal energy?

Im not real sure what equations to use. Sorry I'm not very helpful. This one just kinda stopped me in my tracks for some reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since elevator is falling with constant velocity, the frictional force must be equal to...?
Then rate of doing work = Fr*v.
Now what is relation between the mechanical energy and the thermal energy?

I would first start by clearly defining the problem and identifying the known variables. In this case, we know the mass of the elevator (2017 kg), its downward speed (1.64 m/s), and the fact that the safety braking system is preventing the speed from increasing.

Next, I would use the principle of conservation of energy to solve the problem. The total energy of the system (elevator + braking system) must remain constant, so the energy converted from mechanical energy to thermal energy by the braking system must be equal to the decrease in mechanical energy of the elevator.

To calculate the mechanical energy of the elevator, we can use the formula E = mgh, where m is the mass of the elevator, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height the elevator has descended. Since the elevator is moving at a constant speed, we can use the formula v = d/t to calculate the height h, where d is the distance the elevator has descended and t is the time it took.

Using the given speed of 1.64 m/s and the fact that the elevator has been descending for some time, we can calculate the distance it has descended. Then, using the mass of the elevator, we can calculate the mechanical energy of the system.

To find the rate at which the braking system is converting mechanical energy to thermal energy, we can use the formula P = E/t, where P is the power (rate) at which energy is being converted, E is the mechanical energy calculated previously, and t is the time it took for the elevator to descend. This will give us the rate at which the braking system is converting mechanical energy to thermal energy.

I hope this helps guide you in solving the problem. Remember to always clearly define the problem and identify the known variables, and use the principles of physics to solve it.

1. What does "Not sure how to start this one" mean?

"Not sure how to start this one" is a phrase commonly used when a person is unsure of how to begin a task or project. It can also be interpreted as a request for guidance or assistance in getting started.

2. Why is it important to have a plan before starting a project?

Having a plan before starting a project is important because it helps to organize and prioritize tasks, set goals and expectations, and ensure that all necessary resources are available. A plan also allows for better time management and can prevent unnecessary mistakes or setbacks.

3. What are some helpful hints for starting a project?

Some helpful hints for starting a project include breaking the project into smaller, manageable tasks, setting a timeline and deadlines, gathering all necessary materials and resources, and seeking guidance or advice from others if needed. It can also be helpful to create a to-do list or outline to keep track of progress.

4. How can I overcome the fear of starting a project?

To overcome the fear of starting a project, it can be helpful to break the project into smaller tasks, focus on one step at a time, and remind yourself of the potential rewards and benefits of completing the project. It can also be helpful to seek support or guidance from others, and to remember that mistakes and setbacks are a natural part of the process.

5. What should I do if I am still unsure of how to start my project?

If you are still unsure of how to start your project, it can be helpful to reach out to a mentor, colleague, or supervisor for guidance. You can also do research and gather information related to the project, or break the project into smaller tasks and focus on one at a time. It is important to remember that starting a project can be overwhelming, but taking the first step is often the hardest part.