Balloon Physics: Impact of Punctured Balloon on Horizontal Balance

• Thread starter kevinnn
  • Start date
In summary, if two identical balloons with more than atmospheric pressure are suspended on either end of a stick, the stick will be horizontally balanced. However, if one balloon is punctured, the balance of the stick will be upset as the remaining balloon will pull down on the stick, causing it to sag towards that side. This is due to the fact that the remaining balloon is heavier than air.
kevinnn

Homework Statement

Two identical balloons are of the same volume are pumped up with air to more than atmospheric pressure and suspended on the two ends of a stick so the stick is horizontally balanced. If one of the balloons is punctured is the balance of the stick upset?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I say yes. But I don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
kevinnn said:

Homework Statement

Two identical balloons are of the same volume are pumped up with air to more than atmospheric pressure and suspended on the two ends of a stick so the stick is horizontally balanced. If one of the balloons is punctured is the balance of the stick upset?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I say yes. But I don't know why.

If the contents of the two balloons have more than atmospheric pressure then the balloons are heavier than air. So?

So, if the balloon on the left is popped then the stick will sag towards the right, or the direction of the balloon that is left. Is it that simple? I thought there might be something I was missing?

kevinnn said:
So, if the balloon on the left is popped then the stick will sag towards the right, or the direction of the balloon that is left. Is it that simple? I thought there might be something I was missing?

Yes, both balloons are pulling down on the stick. If you pop one, it will stop pulling down. Simple as that.

Thanks.

What causes a punctured balloon to affect horizontal balance?

The impact of a punctured balloon on horizontal balance is due to the sudden loss of air pressure and volume within the balloon. This causes a shift in the center of mass of the balloon, which then affects its balance when placed on a horizontal surface.

Is the impact of a punctured balloon the same on different surfaces?

No, the impact of a punctured balloon on horizontal balance can vary depending on the surface it is placed on. For example, a balloon may roll more on a smooth surface compared to a rough surface due to differences in friction.

How does the size of the puncture affect the impact on horizontal balance?

The size of the puncture can greatly impact the horizontal balance of a balloon. A larger puncture will result in a quicker loss of air and a more significant shift in the balloon's center of mass, causing it to lose balance faster than a smaller puncture.

Can the elasticity of the balloon material affect its horizontal balance?

Yes, the elasticity of the balloon material can play a role in its horizontal balance. A more elastic material may be able to maintain its shape and balance for longer periods of time, while a less elastic material may lose its shape and balance more quickly after being punctured.

What factors can affect the horizontal balance of a punctured balloon?

Aside from the size of the puncture and the elasticity of the balloon material, other factors that can affect the horizontal balance of a punctured balloon include the weight and shape of the balloon, the surface it is placed on, and any external forces acting on the balloon.