Understanding NP Problems: Proving Yes or No?

• Thread starter ak416
  • Start date
In summary: This applies to any decision problem, where you need to show that both answers (yes and no) have polynomial time certifications. In summary, to prove a decision problem is in NP, you need to show that both answers have a polynomial time certification.
ak416

Homework Statement

Im just a little confused about the definition of an NP problem. The most common definition I hear is: a decision problem is in NP if it has a polynomial time certification. So if it is a yes or no question, there is a proof of it in polynomial time. But my question is, when proving a decision problem is in NP, do you have to assume the answer is yes and show a polytime certification exists and then assume the answer is no and show a polytime certification of that answer exists? Or do you choose either yes or no and show that a polytime certification of that answers exists? I hope somebody can help me because I have an assignment due tomorrow asking me whether certain problems are in NP.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove a decision problem is in NP, you will have to show that both answers (yes and no) can be certified in polynomial time. This means that you need to provide a verification procedure that takes polynomial time to verify a given solution. For example, if the decision problem is whether a number is prime or not, you would need to provide a verification procedure that takes polynomial time to check if the given number is in fact prime.

it is important to have a clear understanding of the definitions and concepts related to your field. In this case, understanding NP problems and their proofs is crucial for anyone working in the field of computer science or mathematics.

To answer your question, when proving a decision problem is in NP, you do not have to assume the answer is yes or no. You instead have to show that there exists a polynomial time algorithm that can verify a given solution to the problem. This algorithm should be able to check the validity of the solution in polynomial time, regardless of whether the answer is yes or no.

In other words, to prove a decision problem is in NP, you have to show that there exists a polynomial time certification for both a "yes" and a "no" answer. This means that the problem can be solved in polynomial time, whether the answer is yes or no.

I understand that this may seem confusing, but it is important to remember that NP problems are decision problems, meaning they have a yes or no answer. The polynomial time certification is simply a way to verify the solution to the problem in a reasonable amount of time.

In conclusion, when proving a decision problem is in NP, you do not have to choose either yes or no. You have to show that there exists a polynomial time algorithm that can verify a given solution, regardless of the answer being yes or no. I hope this helps clarify the concept of NP problems for you. Good luck with your assignment!

1. What are NP problems?

NP stands for Non-Deterministic Polynomial time, and refers to a class of computational problems that are difficult to solve using traditional algorithms. These problems have a large number of possible solutions, and the time it takes to find the correct solution increases exponentially as the input size increases.

2. How do you determine if a problem is in NP?

To determine if a problem is in NP, we need to check if it can be verified in polynomial time. This means that given a proposed solution, we can check if it is correct in a reasonable amount of time. If the problem can be verified in polynomial time, it is considered to be in NP.

3. What is the difference between NP problems and NP-complete problems?

NP-complete problems are a subset of NP problems that are considered to be the "hardest" problems in the class. These problems have the property that if one NP-complete problem can be solved in polynomial time, then all NP problems can be solved in polynomial time. NP-complete problems are also referred to as "decision problems", meaning they have a yes or no answer.

4. How do we prove that a problem is NP-complete?

To prove that a problem is NP-complete, we need to show that it is in NP and that it is at least as difficult as all other NP problems. This is usually done by reducing a known NP-complete problem to the problem in question, showing that if we can solve the latter in polynomial time, then we can also solve the former in polynomial time.

5. Can we ever solve NP problems efficiently?

Currently, there is no known algorithm that can efficiently solve all NP problems. However, some NP problems have specialized algorithms that can solve them efficiently for certain inputs. Additionally, research is ongoing to develop new algorithms and techniques that can help solve NP problems more efficiently.