1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nth derivative Fourier transform property

1. Feb 26, 2015 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am given f(t) = e^-|t| and I found that F(w) = ##\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\frac{1}{w^2 + 1}##

The question says to use the nth derivative property of the Fourier transform to find the Fourier transform of sgn(t)f(t), and gives a hint: "take the derivative of e^-|t|"

I also found the Fourier transform for t*f(t) using another property, but this part has me stumped.

2. Relevant equations

sgn(t) =
    1 for t>0
    0 for t=0
    -1 for t<0

3. The attempt at a solution

I took the derivative of e^-|t|, and got ##\frac{-te^{-|t|}}{|t|}##

But i'm not quite sure how I can use that result, combined with the nth derivative property, to find the F.T. of sgn(t)f(t). I plotted f(t), f'(t) and sgn(t)f(t), but I'm struggling to see the link between them that can help me solve this one... any guidance would be welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You do know that ##\frac{t}{|t|}=sgn(t)##, right? Aside from the issue of the left hand side not being defined at ##t=0##, but that ambiguity doesn't matter for a fourier transform.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  4. Feb 26, 2015 #3

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

I definitely did not realize that.... derp. That simplifies things. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted