1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear bomb question

1. Feb 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to solve the diffusion equation for a sphere of fissile material. I then have to derive an expression for the radius above which a chain reaction will occur (the critical radius). . My trouble then, is finding a boundary condition other than at the surface of the sphere the neutron density is 0. what could be happening in the centre? i know that the B coefficients must be 0 because at r=0 the cos term is infinite. I also know that using my boundary condition k*r=m*pi. the critical radius is when n doesn't vary with time so i set D-k^2=0 to obtain an expression for the critical radius. My problem is that it contains this m value (which is ANY integer). How does one fix m so the critical radius is single-valued? Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated..

2. Relevant equations

del squared (n) - 1/C*(dn/dt) = -n/D where n is the neutron density n(r,t).
    if sin(k*r)=0 then k*r=m*pi , m an integer

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already solved the governing equation and have the neutron density n(r,t) in its most general form which is the sum over all k of some time dependence (exp(D-k^2)t) times some spatial dependence (Asin(k*r)/r + Bcos(k*r)/r)

I also know that using my boundary condition kr=m*pi. the critical radius is when n doesn't vary with time so i set D-k^2=0 to obtain an expression for the critical radius. My problem is that it contains this m value (which is ANY integer).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Typically, problems involving spheres or circles, in addition to the condition on the boundary, have the condition that value at the center, r= 0, must be finite. That would mean that your B in B cos(kr)/r must be 0.

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    Thanks but i have already figured that out. When i set the density at the surface to 0, i get kr=m*pi, i know this is heading towards the correct answer because the answer is of the from r=pi*sqrt(D).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?