Nuclear Decay - Semi Empirical Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses various processes that can change the atomic number by 1, including neutron capturing and fission. The favourable conditions for these processes are an odd-even nucleus. It is also mentioned that neutrinos may be involved, which can be detected through leptonic decay. The conversation also delves into the use of the semi-empirical mass formula to explain why odd-odd isobars are unlikely, while even-even isobars are possible. It is noted that ##Tc## is the lightest odd-odd isobar due to lower binding energy compared to ##Mo##. The other possible process and its ##Q## value are also briefly discussed. Finally, the conversation touches on the suppression of background and the significance
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) What processes changes atomic number by 1? What are the favourable conditions? How do you tell a neutrino is involved? How can we use this to understand the mass of this particle?
(b) Use semi empirical mass formula to explain why odd-odd isobars are unlikely, while even-even isobars are possible. Why is ##Tc## the lightest odd-odd isobar? Show by mass difference ##Mo## is stable.
(c) What is the other possible process and its ##Q## value?
(d) What background is suppressed and what other background exists? What's the significance of T=Q?
2014_B4_Q3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question completely stumped me, as I have no idea how to proceed.

Part (a)
I suppose the two processes are neutron capturing: ##_a ^b X + n \rightarrow _a ^{b+1} Y + \gamma## and fission: ##_a ^b Z + n \rightarrow _a ^{b-1} W + 2n + \gamma##.
I think favourable conditions are an odd-even nucleus? Not sure what other conditions there are.
When a neutrino is involved, I suppose we find leptons? How do we use leptonic decay to figure out the mass?

Part (b)
For an odd-odd configuration, ##\delta_P < 0## so lower binding energy compared to an even-even configuration where ##\delta_P = 0##. Not sure why ##(Z,N) = (43,57)## is the lightest odd-odd isobar. What about ##(41,59)##?
It seems that ##Mo## has a higher binding energy than ##Tc##, so I suppose it is more stable.
Not sure for the other parts of this question..

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:

Homework Statement

(a) What processes changes atomic number by 1? What are the favourable conditions? How do you tell a neutrino is involved? How can we use this to understand the mass of this particle?

Part (a)
I suppose the two processes are neutron capturing: ##_a ^b X + n \rightarrow _a ^{b+1} Y + \gamma## and fission: ##_a ^b Z + n \rightarrow _a ^{b-1} W + 2n + \gamma##.
I think favourable conditions are an odd-even nucleus? Not sure what other conditions there are.
When a neutrino is involved, I suppose we find leptons? How do we use leptonic decay to figure out the mass?

Not sure for the other parts of this question..

For part a), it's the atomic number which changes. Which particle determines the atomic number of an atom?

Does fission change the atomic number by 1? Or does fission do something entirely different to a nucleus?

SteamKing said:
For part a), it's the atomic number which changes. Which particle determines the atomic number of an atom?

Does fission change the atomic number by 1? Or does fission do something entirely different to a nucleus?

Ok, the atomic number is the proton number. So instead of a neutron it would be a proton then.

Fission actually breaks the nucleus into many parts + some other neutrons, so I don't think it will be applicable in this case.

unscientific said:
Ok, the atomic number is the proton number. So instead of a neutron it would be a proton then.

Fission actually breaks the nucleus into many parts + some other neutrons, so I don't think it will be applicable in this case.

Is capturing a proton the only process which increases the atomic number of an atom? Think about the different types of radioactivity (there are three types).

SteamKing said:
Is capturing a proton the only process which increases the atomic number of an atom? Think about the different types of radioactivity (there are three types).

Ok, I can think of 3 radiations:
Beta decay: ##_a X~ \rightarrow~ e^- + _{a+1}Y ##
Alpha decay: Won't this change the atomic number by ##2##?
Gamma decay: ##_a X~ \rightarrow~ _{a+1}Y + e^- + \nu_e + \gamma##.

unscientific said:
Ok, I can think of 3 radiations:
Beta decay: ##_a X~ \rightarrow~ e^- + _{a+1}Y ##
Alpha decay: Won't this change the atomic number by ##2##?
Gamma decay: ##_a X~ \rightarrow~ _{a+1}Y + e^- + \nu_e + \gamma##.

Does gamma emission always lead to a change in atomic number? What about beta decay?

SteamKing said:
Does gamma emission always lead to a change in atomic number? What about beta decay?
Gamma emission doesn't always, but beta decay has to (conservation of charge).

unscientific said:
Gamma emission doesn't always, but beta decay has to (conservation of charge).
Can you answer question a) now?

SteamKing said:
Can you answer question a) now?

What are the favourable conditions? How do we tell if a neutrino is involved? Even if a neutrino is involved, I can't see how that can be used to figure out the mass of the reactants...

unscientific said:
What are the favourable conditions? How do we tell if a neutrino is involved? Even if a neutrino is involved, I can't see how that can be used to figure out the mass of the reactants...

You're misreading what question a) actually asks:

... How do you tell a neutrino is involved? How can we use this to understand the mass of this particle?

The question is not asking for the mass of the reactants ...

SteamKing said:

I suppose one of the experimental signature that the sum of the partial widths is less than it would be a peak/resonance in the cross-section where ##E=m_Z## due to the production of the ##Z^0## boson. The "missing" or "invisible" width belongs to the neutrino?

SteamKing said:
I suppose the mass of the neutrino can be calculated from the width ##\Gamma_{\nu}##?

unscientific said:
I suppose the mass of the neutrino can be calculated from the width ##\Gamma_{\nu}##?
The question is a bit vague. IMO, "understand" is not the same as "calculate", w.r.t. the mass of the neutrino.

I think the question here is looking for a qualitative estimate of whether neutrinos are relatively massive particles, or if there is not much mass to one ...

SteamKing said:
The question is a bit vague. IMO, "understand" is not the same as "calculate", w.r.t. the mass of the neutrino.

I think the question here is looking for a qualitative estimate of whether neutrinos are relatively massive particles, or if there is not much mass to one ...
True, I read it has a very low but non-zero mass.

For part (b), why is the ##Tc## the lightest isobar? Why can't ##Z=41, N=59## be formed?

unscientific said:
True, I read it has a very low but non-zero mass.

For part (b), why is the ##Tc## the lightest isobar? Why can't ##Z=41, N=59## be formed?
I'm afraid my knowledge of atomic physics is pretty much exhausted after being able to tell the difference between atomic number and atomic mass ...

SteamKing said:
I'm afraid my knowledge of atomic physics is pretty much exhausted after being able to tell the difference between atomic number and atomic mass ...
No problem, thanks a lot for spending time on this problem.

Would appreciate help from anyone else who have done atomic physics!

bumpp

bumpp

bumpp

bumpp would appreciate any help to start

bumpp

bumppp

bumpp

unscientific said:

Homework Statement

(b) Use semi empirical mass formula to explain why odd-odd isobars are unlikely, while even-even isobars are possible. Why is ##Tc## the lightest odd-odd isobar? Show by mass difference ##Mo## is stable.
(c) What is the other possible process and its ##Q## value?
(d) What background is suppressed and what other background exists? What's the significance of T=Q?

Think of conservation rules, I.e. total lepton number and specific lepton number are always conserved in interactions!
a) Beta pluss and minus decay as you said is the only really viable option, (you can have emission of a proton but this is very rare so i doubt it is what the question asks for). So if we have then don't have a neutrino present we would have a system with ##\Delta L_e = \pm 1##. Consider also if decay of a neutron or proton would result in higher binding energy, and how this relates to the most favorable condition.
b)Look at the last term in the semi emperical mass formula (SEMP), and remember the less mass you have the more energy you need to break the nucleus appart
c)The answer is hinted to in part d, what do we look for in very deep mines? specifically the interaction of what particle?
d)Basically they are asking which particles will be blocked out by a LOT of matter, and what can go pretty much undesterbed through matter? Also if T=Q then all the energy released from a reaction is in the kinetic energy of 1 particle.. so if we know the kinetic energy of the emitted charged particles (ofc you need to figure out what particles are emitted but this is related to part c), what does this tell us about energy of the incoming particle?

This should be enough to help you out with answering the questions, soz it took so long for you to get a reply.

What is Nuclear Decay?

Nuclear decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation in the form of particles or electromagnetic waves, ultimately resulting in a more stable nucleus.

What is the Semi Empirical Formula for Nuclear Decay?

The Semi Empirical Formula for Nuclear Decay is a mathematical equation used to calculate the energy released during nuclear decay, taking into account the mass and atomic numbers of the nuclei involved.

What factors affect the rate of Nuclear Decay?

The rate of nuclear decay is affected by the type of nucleus, the amount of energy released, and the environment in which the decay is taking place. Temperature, pressure, and the presence of other particles can also influence the rate of decay.

What are the different types of Nuclear Decay?

There are three main types of nuclear decay: alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons), beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle (electron or positron), and gamma decay involves the release of high-energy electromagnetic radiation.

What are some practical applications of Nuclear Decay?

Nuclear decay has various practical applications, including nuclear power generation, radiocarbon dating, and medical imaging and treatments. It is also used in smoke detectors and to preserve food through irradiation.