1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Nuclear Engineering - Recommended Coursework

1. Jun 1, 2009 #1
    Hello Hello,

I'm an upcoming Freshman at Texas A&M and am entering the Nuke program there. Just curious as if there is some material I can get my hands on to expose myself to the topics going to be discussed, before the official start of school. I don't need university specific texts, just good material to read.

I slammed through Cal 1 & 2 last summer before my senior year on my own, and it helped me excel in my Cal classes - so I thought I could bring those good habits into this summer and get that same heads up.

I know basic Nuclear chemistry from outside study and my AP chem class a few years ago. I know physics up through Mechanics and partly into Electromag.

I also can name every country in Europe;
    And every fruit I've eaten in the past 24 hours.

But that's neither here nor there, any recommended readings?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2009 #2
    Hey foobanksnuc,

If it's your freshman year, you'll want to look at Lamarsh's Introduction to Nuclear Engineering. It gives a basic outline of most nuclear subjects you'll cover in an undergraduate course of study: radioactivity, reactivity, effects of radiation, and even a little history.

4. Jun 3, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Nuclear Energy, Sixth Edition: An Introduction to the Concepts, Systems, and Applications of Nuclear Processes by Raymond Murray is a standard introductory level text.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0123705479 - new & used are available.

There are older versions with less detail, which are inexpensive. I used an older version when I taught the introductory course at A&M.

A bit more pricey be good text is Nuclear Engineering: Theory And Technology Of Commercial Nuclear Power (SCPP) by Neil Todreas.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nuclear-Engineering-Theory-Technology-Commercial/dp/1560320893/

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook