Number of bits and resolution my answer VS my teacher's

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a load cell to convert weight to voltage and the necessary steps to translate the analog signal to a digital signal for a computerized control system. The required "data bits" for an A/D converter in a measurement system with a range of 0-200 kgf and an accuracy of 0.5 kgf is determined to be 11. A calculation error is identified and corrected, leading to the conclusion that the required "data bits" is indeed 11.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A load cell converts weight to voltage. It's known that the transmission of a certain measurement system is 5 mV/kgf

In a computerized control system, it is necessary to translate the analog signal, which the transducer sends off, to a digital signal through an A/D converter.

In a certain weight system, it is necessarily to measure weight in the range of 0-200 kgf, whereas the needed accuracy of the measurement is 0.5 kgf

The A/D converter which is in the conversion system, is supplied by a 5V DC (Direct Current) voltage.

1) Pick the appropriate A/D converter for this measurement system (what's the required "data bits"?)

The Attempt at a Solution

What bothers me is that I got n = 10 and he got n = 11. What gives?

My solution:

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7513/myann.jpg

My teacher solution: (Don't mind the Hebrew words)

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5646/teacherans.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FP. It is just an arithmetic error (on your part) I think. :smile:

0.0025 ≤ 5/(2n - 1)

2n - 1 ≥ 2 x 103

if n=10, LHS = 1023
if n=11, LHS = ...

How did you find your n=9.64?

Has nothing to do with the 5V a/d converter reference. We are interested in resolving 0.5kg/200 kg. If the LSB is 0.25kg and the actual weight is say 10.25 kg then we could get a reading of either 10.00 or 10.50 which is at the limit of requirement, so you should resolve to 0.125 kg which implies 200/.125 = 1600 LSB's or n = 11.

Nascent is right, I just reset my calculator and recalculated. It is indeed n =11 :-) Thank you for the replies.

Femme_physics said:
Nascent is right, I just reset my calculator and recalculated. It is indeed n =11 :-) Thank you for the replies.

Bad calculator! Bad! Switch to a slide-rule. :-)

1. What is the difference between number of bits and resolution?

The number of bits refers to the number of binary digits used to represent a value, while resolution refers to the smallest increment of measurement that can be detected by a system. In other words, the number of bits determines the range of values that can be represented, while resolution determines the precision of those values.

2. How does the number of bits affect the quality of digital data?

The number of bits directly affects the quality of digital data by determining the range of values that can be represented. A higher number of bits allows for a larger range and therefore more precise representation of data, resulting in higher quality.

3. Can you give an example of how number of bits and resolution are used in digital media?

In digital images, the number of bits determines the number of possible colors or shades of gray that can be represented, while resolution determines the level of detail and sharpness of the image. For example, a higher number of bits and resolution would result in a more vibrant and detailed photograph.

4. How do you calculate the number of bits needed for a certain resolution?

The number of bits needed for a certain resolution can be calculated using the formula: log2 (N), where N is the number of possible values that need to be represented. For example, to represent 256 different shades of gray, 8 bits would be needed (log2 (256) = 8).

5. Is there a limit to the number of bits and resolution that can be used?

There is a theoretical limit to the number of bits and resolution that can be used, which is determined by the physical limitations of the system. However, advancements in technology continue to push this limit higher, allowing for more precise and high-quality digital data.