Statics - I think I found a mistake in the solution manual - need confirmation

In summary, the conversation is about a beam structure fixed at point C and held by a cable BD to the floor. The beam is loaded by two concentrated forces, F1 and F2, and the cable tension is known to be 1250 [N]. The task is to calculate the reaction force at C and the fixation moment Mc at point C, ignoring the weight of the cable and structure. The solution is provided in the form of a drawing and the manual suggests subtracting 50 N from F2 to get the correct answer. The conversation ends with a playful exchange about the person's forehead and any possible damage from mis-copying the print to their solution.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/6320/tthing.jpg

In the drawing is described a beam structure fixed at point C, and held by a cable BD to the floor. The beam is loaded by two concentrated forces, F1 and F2, as described in the drawing.

Given

F1 = 700 [N]
F2 = 400 [N]

If it's known that the cable tension equals 1250 [N], calculate:

A) The reaction force at C
B) The fixation moment Mc at point C.

Ignore weight of cable and structure. Measurements are in mm.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5323/hopesr.jpg

Manual says

Cx = 80.77

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answer would fit if you subtract 50 N from F2.

Would that work for you too? :wink:

*slaps forehead* I mis-copied the print to my solution, then!

Thanks for catching it up! :smile:

Femme_physics said:
*slaps forehead* I mis-copied the print to my solution, then!

Thanks for catching it up! :smile:

How is your forehead nowawadays?

Any bruises? Noticeable brain damage? :tongue:

[N]
Cy = 1550 [N]
Mc = -5200 [Nm]

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. As a scientist, it is important to always double check solutions and confirm their accuracy. I will review the problem and the solution given in the manual to determine if there is indeed a mistake. In the meantime, can you provide your solution and any calculations you used? This will help me compare and confirm the correct answer.

1. What should I do if I think I found a mistake in the solution manual?

If you believe you have found an error in the solution manual, the first step is to carefully check your work and make sure you have not made a mistake yourself. If you are confident that the mistake is in the solution manual, you can reach out to the publisher or author to report the error.

2. Is it common for there to be mistakes in solution manuals?

While mistakes in solution manuals can happen, it is not very common. Most solution manuals go through rigorous editing and reviewing processes to ensure accuracy. However, human error can still occur, so it's always important to double-check your work and report any potential errors you find.

3. How can I confirm if an error I found in the solution manual is correct?

If you have found a potential mistake in the solution manual, you can try reaching out to the author or publisher for confirmation. You can also ask a fellow student or colleague to review the problem and see if they come to the same conclusion. Additionally, you can look for other sources or references that may have a different solution.

4. Can I trust the solution manual if I have found a mistake in it?

While finding a mistake in the solution manual may raise doubts about its accuracy, it is important to remember that solution manuals are created by human beings and are not infallible. It is always recommended to verify your answers and seek confirmation if you are unsure. However, overall, solution manuals can still be a helpful study tool for understanding concepts and practicing problem-solving.

5. What should I do if I find multiple mistakes in the solution manual?

If you come across multiple errors in the solution manual, it is best to report them all to the publisher or author. They may be able to provide a corrected version or make updates to future editions. It is also a good idea to share this information with your instructor, as they may be able to provide clarification or address the mistakes in class.