Number of electrons on charged sphere

In summary, the number of electrons on a charged sphere determines the magnitude of its charge, with each electron contributing a negative charge of 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs. This number also influences the strength of the sphere's electric field, as more electrons create a stronger field. The number of electrons on a charged sphere can be changed through processes like rubbing or charging by induction, and bringing the sphere near another charged object can further alter its charge and number of electrons. The size of a charged sphere can also affect the number of electrons it can hold, with larger spheres generally having a greater capacity due to their larger surface area.
srhly
Can anyone help me with this question. A sphere is charged with electrons to -5x10^-6 C. The charge of an electron is -1.6x10^-19 C. How many electrons are there on the sphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
A CD costs $5. If you have $1,250 how many CDs can you buy? :)

damn. I wish i had that much money to blow on cd's

actually, i wish i had that much money to blow on anything.

dave,

It's a hypothetical question with the operative word being if! ;)

What is the relationship between the number of electrons and the charge of a sphere?

The number of electrons on a charged sphere determines the magnitude of the charge on the sphere. Each electron has a negative charge of 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs, so the total charge of the sphere can be calculated by multiplying the number of electrons by this value.

How does the number of electrons on a charged sphere affect its electric field?

The number of electrons on a charged sphere influences the strength of its electric field. The more electrons there are, the stronger the electric field will be. This is because each electron contributes to the overall electric field around the sphere.

Can the number of electrons on a charged sphere be changed?

Yes, the number of electrons on a charged sphere can be changed through various processes such as rubbing or charging by induction. These methods can add or remove electrons from the sphere, altering its charge and electric field.

What happens to the number of electrons on a charged sphere if it is brought near another charged object?

If a charged sphere is brought near another charged object, the number of electrons on the sphere may change due to the process of charging by induction. The charged object can attract or repel electrons on the sphere, resulting in a change in its charge and number of electrons.

Does the size of a charged sphere affect the number of electrons it can hold?

Yes, the size of a charged sphere can affect the number of electrons it can hold. Generally, larger spheres have a greater surface area, which means they can hold more electrons. However, the type of material and its ability to hold charge also plays a role in the number of electrons a charged sphere can hold.