Number of pins? & Point of contact?

In summary, you would use pins with different tips to achieve the best point of contact when moulding a freeform surface.
Yogi patel
Hello.. I am confused in two questions.
First one is i am designing 1 pin shaped which can mould the free form surface. i am confused in different type of shapes pin like circle, square, triangle..etc.. My question is if i am moulding a free form surface by these shape of pins which shape will highest & equal type of point of contact. & when i revolve the pin at 30 degree the point of contact will be the same as 90 degree?
Second question is there is one plate of 600*600 mm where i will be putting my pins with some distance.. So how much distance should i put the pins that i can revolve the pins at 30 degree & put as much as less pins?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Yogi. :smile:

Can you attach a sketch or picture of what you are trying to do? So far your questions are not clear to me. When you say "mould", do you mean like injection molding of shapes? Are you asking about how to release different shapes from a mold?

Or are you asking about attaching pins to various shapes to provide support when sitting on flat surfaces maybe?

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 4.07.48 PM.png
1568646659940.png
I am designing like this. you can see the pins are moulding a free form surface. In this example you can see there is circular Pin tip. The PIN TIP is also rotating with 30 degree of rotation. My question is which type of PIN TIP i should use for best point of contact like any circular type pins, any square type pins or any triangular type pins etc..The point of contact should be the same in 30 degree or 90 degree??

Likes berkeman
Interesting! I hadn't seen those before. What kind of tips do the Adapa folks use?

https://adapa.dk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Adapa-Product-Brochure.pdf

1568648362778.png

Adapa is not using any pins because its moulding in concrete & plastic in liquid form, so its just doing with help of actuators only. but in my case I am using steel pins to mould aluminium sheet.

Decades ago, I looked at the possibility of moulds made from a bed of close packed hexagonal pins, covered by a sheet of rubber, all held down by a vacuum. The aim was to select, place and adjust the pins automatically from a numerical definition of the surface.

How do you plan to get the aluminum sheet to conform to the pin set's profile contours?

What is the significance of the number of pins?

The number of pins refers to the total number of contact points on a device or connector. It determines the maximum amount of data or power that can be transferred between two components.

How does the number of pins affect data transfer speed?

The more pins a device or connector has, the higher the potential data transfer speed. This is because each pin represents a separate pathway for data to travel through, allowing for more data to be transmitted simultaneously.

What factors determine the number of pins on a device or connector?

The number of pins is determined by the type and complexity of the device or connector. It can also be influenced by industry standards and compatibility with other devices.

What is the point of contact in a device or connector?

The point of contact refers to the physical connection between two components. It is where the pins make contact with each other, allowing for the transfer of data or power.

How can I ensure proper point of contact in a device or connector?

Proper point of contact is essential for efficient data transfer. To ensure this, make sure the pins are clean and free of debris, and that the device is properly aligned with the connector before making the connection.