Number of sf to be carried forward

  • Thread starter Thread starter hasan_researc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sf
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
hasan_researc
Messages
166
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



My problem is with the number of significant figures I have to carry forward in intermediate calculations. I know that if the given data has a minimum of n sf, then the final ans should be to n+1 sf. But then should the intermediate answers be to n+2 sf??


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I have no idea how to solve this problem.
Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If it's simply part of your working i'd of thought as many significant figures as possible, you won't lose any marks having all intermediate answers to n+3 SF as long as you have an accurate rounded answer. Much better that than having all intermediate answers to n SF which will almost inevitably affect the accuracy of your final answer to n+1 SF.