Learning to Convert Numbers to Different Bases

In summary, the conversation is about changing the base of a number from base 5 to base 8. The person seeking help is having difficulty understanding the concept and asks for an example. The suggestion is to first convert the number to base 10 and then to base 8. The conversation also touches on the term "base" being interchangeable with "radix" and the use of different bases in different fields. Overall, the conversation focuses on converting the number 3145 from base 5 to base 8.
Frank Jumby
Please I have read texts about changing the bases of numbers but still I have difficulties in
doing, may s'body instruct me for example..

Change 3145 to base 8

Thanx..

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you first write 314_5 in base 10 and then transform it to base 8?

First convert to base 10. Do you know what the 3 represents in 3145?

Tenshou said:
What do you mean? explain what you mean by changing bases?

"Base" here is more specifically called "radix", but the word base is almost always used in English except in advanced academic texts.

MrAnchovy said:
First convert to base 10. Do you know what the 3 represents in 3145?

Maybe I shouldn't do this, but since this is not the homework forum:

[itex](3*5^2)+(1*5)+4=?[/itex]. Now express the result in base 8. Hint: [itex]100_{8} = 64_{10}=8^2[/itex]

Last edited:
Ufortunately, after 8 responses, Frank Jumby hasn't responded to any of the questions asked.

1. What is the purpose of learning to convert numbers to different bases?

Learning to convert numbers to different bases allows us to represent numbers in different ways and make calculations more efficient. It also helps us understand the fundamentals of our number system and how numbers can be manipulated.

2. What are the common number bases that we use?

The most commonly used number bases are decimal (base 10), binary (base 2), octal (base 8), and hexadecimal (base 16).

3. How do I convert a number from one base to another?

To convert a number from one base to another, you need to understand the place value system and perform basic operations such as multiplication and addition. You can also use conversion tables or online converters for quick and accurate conversions.

4. Why is converting from decimal to binary important in computer science?

Computers use binary code to represent and process data. Converting from decimal to binary is important in computer science as it allows us to understand how data is stored and manipulated in a computer's memory.

5. What are some tips for mastering conversions between different bases?

Some tips for mastering conversions between different bases include practicing regularly, understanding the place value system, and using mnemonic devices or tricks to remember conversion steps. It may also be helpful to break down the conversion into smaller parts and work through each part systematically.