Numeric algorithm (of projectile motion with drag)

In summary, the conversation discusses using the suggested algorithm steps from the University Physics extra to make Maple output values for coordinates, speeds, and accelerations. The speaker has reached the 5th step and is unsure of the best way to loop through step 9. They also mention using the piecewise-function.
Bonulo
Using the suggested algorithm steps of the University Physics extra http://wps.aw.com/wps/media/objects/877/898586/topics/topic01.pdf" I want to make Maple (ver. 10) output values for coordinates, speeds and accelerations (as described in the linked PDF).

I've reached the 5th step, which is to be looped, through step 9. However, I'm not quite sure how that is best done. If it is possible to do using only a few "do"-commands.

Step 5 calculates acceleration components ax and ay, necessary for the calculation of the speed after a time DeltaT.

Do I have to, e.g., calculate the first components of ax and ay before I can setup a regular do-loop (since all unknowns would then be defined for the same time t)?

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can I use the piecewise-function?

Related to Numeric algorithm (of projectile motion with drag)

1. What is a numeric algorithm?

A numeric algorithm is a mathematical formula or set of steps used to solve a problem or perform a calculation. It involves using numerical methods, such as approximation or iteration, to find a solution.

2. How does projectile motion with drag differ from regular projectile motion?

In regular projectile motion, the only force acting on an object is gravity. In projectile motion with drag, there is an additional force due to air resistance or drag, which affects the motion of the object.

3. What factors influence the trajectory in projectile motion with drag?

The factors that influence the trajectory in projectile motion with drag include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the mass and surface area of the object, and the air density and viscosity.

4. How is a numeric algorithm used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile with drag?

A numeric algorithm is used to solve the differential equations that govern the motion of a projectile with drag. These equations take into account the forces acting on the object and use numerical methods to calculate its position and velocity at different time intervals.

5. Can a numeric algorithm account for all the complexities of projectile motion with drag?

No, a numeric algorithm is an approximation and cannot account for all the complexities of projectile motion with drag. It assumes a constant value for air density and drag coefficient, which may not be accurate in real-world scenarios. It also does not consider other factors such as wind and turbulence.