1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nutational damping in satellites

1. Jul 2, 2009 #1
    i want to ask ....how can i model sloshing of fuel in satellite feul tank , to an energy sink model....
    can anybody help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2009 #2
    in one of the experiment NASA has done, they have modelled this to pendulum model....but i want to incorporate energy dissipation to it too

4. Jul 3, 2009 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

5. Jul 3, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Wouldn't it be easier to use a slosh-free tank design, such as a mesh filler?

6. Jul 3, 2009 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A mesh doesn't stop slosh, but it can help attenuate it -- in the right circumstances.

Spacecraft designers do use meshes (isogrids) as one of several passive anti-slosh devices. See http://books.google.com/patents/about?id=cUoHAAAAEBAJ".

Unless the fuel tank is packed jam full with passive anti-slosh devices, there will always be slosh of some sort. Since slosh has resulted in multiple vehicle incidents, it is a very good idea to confirm via analysis and simulation that the passive anti-slosh devices and active slosh controls will work to keep the vehicle under control.

Everything you want to know about slosh: http://sloshcentral.bbbeard.org/.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Jul 3, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, DH. That was very informative. I never realized how complex the matter is.

8. Jul 5, 2009 #7
    thanks DH..
    i was looking for this only....
    but one more thing to ask..
    i m working with non-dimensionalzd equations
    so wud it be more beneficial to work with damping ratio ς = c/2mω0. where m is the total mass of body....
    or damping ratio ς = c/2mω0. where m is the mass of fuel....
    hope u r getting what i m tryin to ask....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook