Wave damping on a stretched string

In summary, increasing the tension in a wave on a string can affect the amount of energy lost due to damping. The equation c = 2*mu*sqrt(T/mu) is a valid option for describing this relationship.
Is there a simple model I can use to describe the damping of a wave on a string? Is c = 2*mu*sqrt(T/mu) where mu is damping coefficient, mu is linear density and T is tension a valid option? I replaced k and m with T and mu from the simple equation found here.

What I am interested in showing is how/if tension affects the damping. My thinking is that seen as changing the tension changes the velocity and therefore wavelength, this will mean that the number of periods will be different compared to at a different applied tension and therefore there will be a difference in loss. Is that thinking correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your thinking is correct. The equation c=2*mu*sqrt(T/mu) is a valid option for describing the damping of a wave on a string. It shows that, as you stated, changing the tension affects the velocity and wavelength, which can cause a difference in the amount of energy lost due to damping. Increasing the tension increases the speed of the wave, resulting in less energy lost.

What is wave damping on a stretched string?

Wave damping on a stretched string refers to the gradual decrease in amplitude of a wave as it travels along a string that is under tension. This is caused by energy being transferred to the surrounding medium or being converted into other forms of energy.

How does the tension of the string affect wave damping?

The tension of the string directly affects wave damping. A higher tension will result in a faster wave speed and therefore less damping, while a lower tension will result in a slower wave speed and more damping.

What are some factors that can increase wave damping on a stretched string?

Some factors that can increase wave damping on a stretched string include friction between the string and the air, the thickness and material of the string, and any imperfections or irregularities in the string.

How does wave damping affect the frequency of the wave?

As a wave travels along a stretched string, its amplitude decreases due to damping. This results in a decrease in the frequency of the wave, as the frequency is directly proportional to the amplitude.

Can wave damping be reduced or eliminated on a stretched string?

No, wave damping cannot be completely eliminated on a stretched string. However, it can be reduced by using a string with less friction and a more uniform thickness, as well as increasing the tension of the string. Additionally, using a medium such as oil or water can also decrease wave damping.

Suggested for: Wave damping on a stretched string

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back