Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obama is no Buddha - PETA

1. Jun 20, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When Obama was seen swatting a fly on his arm during a news conference, apparently he insulted the fly's rights folks.

- PETA
    http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE55H4Z220090618

Carter, excessive welfare and handouts, and folks like this are what made me a Republican as a young man. Just as I think the Right needs to distance itself from the likes of Fox News, and Limbaugh, I think the Democrats want to stay far to the right of those who would object to killing a fly. I can't think of a better example of the nutty extreme left.

[I think Carter is a great man, but I also thought he was a terrible President. He should have read "The Prince"]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2
    ... :rofl:

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Obama killed a fly. WARMONGER!

:rofl: :rofl:

I thought it was gross, crushing a fly on your own arm. Then again all bugs creep me out. I hardly kill bugs because they're disgusting to kill. Thank god for pest control :D

5. Jun 20, 2009 #4
    It just shows you how out of their minds PETA people are and how they should be publicly humiliated whenever possible.

6. Jun 20, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe this is the first time that Obama has been accused of not being a divine entity. I guess we all knew the dream would end one day.

7. Jun 20, 2009 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

at least by his supporters ;)

8. Jun 20, 2009 #7
    Along with those "Sea Shepherd" idiots.

Unbelievable how these organizations get funding.

9. Jun 20, 2009 #8

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

PETA makes me want to become a cannibal.

Cows = herbivores = tasty
    Cats = carnivores = ewe
    Chickens = herbivores(and maybe some token bugs, worms, and rocks) = tasty
    Dogs = carnivores = yuck

Peta People = herbivores = mmmmm..... marinate over night and cook'em on the barbie. yummie.

hmmm... how about Peta stuffed Pita?

10. Jun 20, 2009 #9
    I always thought PETA should stand for

People
    Eat
    Tasty
    Animals

11. Jun 20, 2009 #10
    These are the sort of wackjobs that we see here in California alot and which give me a hard time calling myself a liberal. Some of the things that they do really embarass me. That's why you'll see me argue with liberals so much here. I just care more about what liberals think and how they represent the ideology more than I care about conservatives.

When I heard about the hollywood stars pledging allegiance to Obama I rolled my eyes along with the conservatives.

12. Jun 20, 2009 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Based on the statement quoted in the op, it seems that PETA is a religious group masquerading as a political organization.

13. Jun 21, 2009 #12
    PETA has been on the show "bull$hit !". The two magicians had me believe it is really cowcr*p. What a trick !

edit
    Just to make it clear, if flies have rights, they should have the responsibilities coming with it, such as : do not interupt the president.

14. Jun 21, 2009 #13
    Their ideology certainly borders on the religious.
    I wonder if they'll ever start standing up for the rights of viruses and bacteria.
    Wasn't there a virus that we drove to extinction?
    Poor poor viruses.

15. Jun 21, 2009 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am a strong advocate for the humane treatment of animals. While there is certainly plenty of room for disagreement about what is and is not acceptable, say for example in the case of farming practices, when one starts defending the rights of a fly, I'd say this goes way beyond the conventional notion of animal rights or the humane treatment of animals.

16. Jun 21, 2009 #15
    It only proves what PETA is after : enough visibility to get money. There is no thought behind or beyond.

17. Jun 21, 2009 #16
    Honestly PETA are ridiculous. As if their members or leaders do not occasionally trample on an ant or swat a fly.

Exactly! It just shows that PETA, like many other well meaning organizations to start with, seem to have become radicalized. A fly is a fly, killing it would not make much difference :rofl: It is not even an animal in the traditional sense (having a family, feelings and thoughts, feels pain? etc)

18. Jun 21, 2009 #17
    apparently, PETA is over reacting on the killing of the fly. if these people let flies swarm in their households and live peacefully with them then i'd support their organization.:approve:

19. Jun 21, 2009 #18
    If anything, I'm offended by not having his reflexes. :rolleyes:

Also, PETA sent Obama a "humane fly catcher"... http://www.petacatalog.org/images/HP220-Large.jpg" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  20. Jun 21, 2009 #19

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I saw this on a T-shirt:

Meat is Murder

Tasty Tasty Murder

21. Jun 21, 2009 #20
    I don't see the big deal here. PETA was asked for their opinion and they gave it. I read the actual blog at their site and it really doesn't look very critical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook