Obama's Medical Marijuana Policy Issued

• Thread starter B. Elliott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medical
In summary: I suspect it's being done to set up a precedent (look, the DEA stopped prosecuting medical marijuana users, and nothing bad happened) so that later full-legalization legislature will be easier to pass.I don't think it's a waste of anyone's time for Obama to tell his federal employees to respect state laws. In my opinion, state laws should override federal laws in all circumstances where they conflict. Maybe Obama agrees.- WarrenI have to take issue with the second part of your statement (bolded). If that were the case, we might still have slavery in most of the South. I seriously doubt Obama would agree with that policy. However, the first part I agree with
Al68 said:
Art 1 Sec 1 says "All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives."

Enforcement of law is executive power, not legislative power, and is vested entirely in the President.
Correct, that's another way to look at it. So either way you look at it, Obama is violating the Constitution. If you look at this order as in effect repealing a law, that's article 1, section 1. If you look at this as Obama failing to uphold his executive responsibility (choosing not to enforce a law is choosing not to uphold your executive responsibility), then he's in violation of Article 2, section 1.

Please understand: this is not a case of choosing how to enforce a law, it is a case of choosing not to enforce the law.

I think the first way is more straightforward, though.

Biology news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
.. In order to properly turn marijuana into a drug like Tylenol, it would take a decade at least to get through FDA approval. ...
Agreed it needs regulation, but I doubt a decade. That kind of time is required for a new drug, but THC must be one of the most studied critters on the planet.

russ_watters said:
Congress has the power to pass laws for the common good. Making harmful drugs illegal is part of the public good. That's article 1, section 8.

Who decides what is harmful and what is not? Are you aware that it has been known for a while that tobacco is far more harmful than marijuana? Why isn't tobacco illegal?

russ_watters said:
That's what I was getting at, yes. The reason I ask is that it seems to me that the medicinal marijuana issue is just an attempt at a red herring argument. A smokescreen to mask a further adjenda.

The medical effects of marijuana were found by doctors and researchers, not random people who just want to smoke pot. People who support legalization of course will use this as an opportunity to further their cause, but I don't think anyone in this category is masking their agenda.

russ_watters said:
It is my perception that all these absurd specious arguments we get are just part of that.

Which absurd arguments? The peer-reviewed and published research that shows the medical benefits of marijuana and its relative harmlessness?
russ_watters said:
Considering how many cancer patients are screaming for new drugs, it is a pretty specious argument about medicinal pot users "suffering in the meantime".

I don't know what your definition of 'suffering' is, but I think most people would agree that being prosecuted for using doctor recommended medicine is 'suffering'.

Vanadium 50 said:
Actually, I think it's a descent into dictatorship. One person decides which laws are fair and just and which ones aren't.

This has been tried before, and like I said, it seldom ends well. (To connect it to science, this is what killed Antoine Lavoisier)
The title issue here is about Obama and yes, in that respect it is a descent into dictatorship. I was going further with the issue and just didn't explain myself. There are several other levels on which you can look at it, which have been at least implied in this thread:

State level: The thread is about an Obama decision, but it is an Obama decision about a state violation of federal law. Ie, it is a states rights issue. IMO, "states rights" is typically a red herring used by extremists to explain away violations of federal law and there is rarely any validity to the issues*. On general principles, few people are really states rights advocates: ie, if the federal government legalizes MJ, people drop the states rights issue.

Individual level: Why stop at the state? If a federal or state law is morally wrong, why can't an individual make that decision and disobey it? This is what I was alluding to as a path to anarchy. Because of the broad implications, civil disobedience must be used very carefully, in very special circumstances. This can go back up to the Presidential level too - Lincoln violated law and the Consitution, but it was the right thing to do. The typical examples of civil disobedience come from the civil rights movement. But pot isn't about civil disobedience on a moral issue. When MLK and his followers got arrested for sit-ins in diners, it wasn't because they were hungry for undercooked poached eggs, it was about the larger issues of racial segregation. The pot issue isn't like that. This is about stoners wanting to make it easier for themselves to be stoners, and that's it. Sorry, but even if they are right and the federal law is wrong, a stoner's right to get high is not an important enough reason to trash the Constitution.

*Texan secessionists take the most heat for pushing crackpot "states rights" issues, but by far the biggest "states rights" state is California. And from one issue to the next, you can see from how California handles the issues whether they are just being radicals, thumbing their nose at the FED or if they have a legitimate issue that the FED is failing to address. Pot is the former, clean air is the latter. What do you do if the government is legitimately wrong (as perhaps they are on clean air)? Sue them! Get the issue into the courts. http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/20/california.emissions/

Last edited:
When my brother-in-law was suffering and dying from pancreatic cancer, his doctor prescribed Marinol - a spherical white gel-encapsulated pill that supposedly contained the active ingredients of marijuana. It did not restore his appetite or provide relief from pain and discomfort. He got relief from a very nice back-woods farmer lady that made pot brownies for him to help him get through his last weeks. I am very grateful to her for making that Maine Guide's last time here tolerable. He was an avid outdoorsman (red-neck, in other states, maybe) and a big-hearted guy who would do anything for his family. At the time, Maine had no medical marijuana laws, and I am so grateful that this lady took it upon herself to help him. He died in relative comfort at home, surrounded by his family and visited by friends, as often as could be accommodated. Like me, he was a Harley enthusiast, and would drop (about) everything to spend an evening fly-fishing when we thought there might be a good mayfly hatch on a pond in driving distance. He wasn't a slacker/stoner, but a hard-working family man, and I miss him greatly.

russ_watters said:
But pot isn't about civil disobedience on a moral issue.

It would seem that the principle that sick people should not be forced to suffer needlessly by moralizing buzy bodies is a larger issue.

mheslep said:
Agreed it needs regulation, but I doubt a decade. That kind of time is required for a new drug, but THC must be one of the most studied critters on the planet.
Studied as a medicine or studied to determine its harm? This is interesting:
turbo-1 said:
When my brother-in-law was suffering and dying from pancreatic cancer, his doctor prescribed Marinol - a spherical white gel-encapsulated pill that supposedly contained the active ingredients of marijuana. It did not restore his appetite or provide relief from pain and discomfort. He got relief from a very nice back-woods farmer lady that made pot brownies...
I didn't know such pills existed, but in any case, the pill didn't work, but the brownies did. So was it a dosage issue or does the pill just not work for what it is supposed to do?

I'd never heard of Marinol, but it is a real medicine from a real pharma company, so perhaps you're right, mheslep, perhaps it would be quicker than 10 years.

russ_watters said:
...*Texan secessionists take the most heat for pushing crackpot "states rights" issues, but by far the biggest "states rights" state is California. And from one issue to the next, you can see from how California handles the issues whether they are just being radicals, thumbing their nose at the FED or if they have a legitimate issue that the FED is failing to address. Pot is the former, clean air is the latter. What do you do if the government is legitimately wrong (as perhaps they are on clean air)? Sue them! Get the issue into the courts. http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/20/california.emissions/
Great point about Ca being the most radical on states rights, I completely agree. There are many more examples.

dx said:
Who decides what is harmful and what is not?
In this case, the federal government.
Are you aware that it has been known for a while that tobacco is far more harmful than marijuana? Why isn't tobacco illegal?
Maybe it should be. But you're not interested in making tobacco illegal, you're interested in making marijuana legal. So I don't think you really want to go down that road with this discussion. :wink:
The medical effects of marijuana were found by doctors and researchers, not random people who just want to smoke pot. People who support legalization of course will use this as an opportunity to further their cause, but I don't think anyone in this category is masking their agenda.
I'll freely acknowledge not being real up on the extent of the research on MJ. Quite frankly, I'm not interested. If the case is good, fine: then the case should be made to the federal government to change the law. Again, this thread, to me, is more about the violation of federal law than it is about pot itself.

lurflurf said:
It would seem that the principle that sick people should not be forced to suffer needlessly by moralizing buzy bodies is a larger issue.
I think you missed my point. My point is that most people are making an issue of medical marijuana because they want to get high, not because they really care that much about medicines. If pot had a lot of medical uses but didn't make people high, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The moralizing is a smokescreen.

dx said:
Are you aware that it has been known for a while that tobacco is far more harmful than marijuana? Why isn't tobacco illegal?

Because that isn't what the people of the United States of America, through their elected representatives, have decided. Simple as that.

Now, you might argue that they have made a bad decision, and I might even agree with you, but the remedy surely isn't that the President decides that his idea of how things should be somehow supersedes what the people, through Congress, think it should be.

russ_watters said:
Correct, that's another way to look at it. So either way you look at it, Obama is violating the Constitution. If you look at this order as in effect repealing a law, that's article 1, section 1. If you look at this as Obama failing to uphold his executive responsibility (choosing not to enforce a law is choosing not to uphold your executive responsibility), then he's in violation of Article 2, section 1.

Please understand: this is not a case of choosing how to enforce a law, it is a case of choosing not to enforce the law.

I think the first way is more straightforward, though.
The power to choose which violations of federal law to prosecute, and which not to, is executive power, and is vested in the President. Prosecuting them all is simply not one of his choices, and is not required by Art 2, sec 1, for the obvious reason that it would be an impossible task.

I hate defending Obama, but prosecuting every violation of every law is just not one of his options, even if you disagree with the ones he chooses not to.

Isn't this sort of blow out of proportion since Odgen's memo was advisement rather than order?

I don't see what the big deal is. I feel like some people are making it out to be ::
"Obama writes law stating not to prosecute illegal drug users."

when in reality it is:
David Ogden, an Obama-appointed Deputy Attorney General, advises in a memo to not focus federal resources on individuals whose actions are in clear and unambiguous compliance with existing state laws providing for the medical use of marijuana, though prosecutors are allowed wide discretion in which cases they choose to deem worthy of pursuit.

Right?

Al68 said:
The power to choose which violations of federal law to prosecute, and which not to, is executive power, and is vested in the President. Prosecuting them all is simply not one of his choices, and is not required by Art 2, sec 1, for the obvious reason that it would be an impossible task.
That's patently absurd, at face value. The President cannot arbitrarily decide to throw out a law. Yes, the President must at least make a reasonable attempt to execute every law the Congress charges him to execute. It doesn't mean he must successfully prosecute every criminal, but he can't simply discard a law entirely.

The President is charged with carrying out the laws of Congress. Nowhere does it say the President is charged with carrying out the laws he feels like carrying out or the laws he agrees with or the laws he likes. There are no such qualifiers on his responsibility.

Here's a quote from a constitutional law textbook. It is plain as day (as it is from reading the consitution itself and applying some simple logic!):
The President is an agent selected by the people, for the express purpose of seeing that the laws of the land are executed. If, upon his own judgment, he refuse to execute a law and thus nullifies it, he is arrogating to himself controlling legislative functions, and laws have but an advisory, recommendatory character, depending for power upon the good-will of the President. That there is danger that Congress may by a chance majority, or through the influence of sudden great passion, legislate unwisely or unconstitutionally, was foreseen by those who framed our form of government, and the provision was framed that the President might at his discretion use a veto, but this was the entire extent to which he was allowed to go in the exercise of a check upon the legislation. It was expressly provided that if, after his veto, two-thirds of the legislature should again demand that the measure become a law, it should thus be, notwithstanding the objection of the Chief Executive. Surely there is here left no further constitutional right on the part of the President to hinder the operation of a law.
http://chestofbooks.com/society/law...he-President-To-Enforce-Laws-Believed-By.html

Last edited:
Hepth said:
Isn't this sort of blow out of proportion since Odgen's memo was advisement rather than order?
What's the difference between an "advisement" and an "order"?

And how is it ok for the President to "advise" his prosecutors to disregard federal law?

Al68 said:
The power to choose which violations of federal law to prosecute, and which not to, is executive power, and is vested in the President. ...
Not exactly. We really want A II, S3 here:
he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed...
So there is an interpreted standard, guided by 'take care' and 'faithfully'. Must he prosecute everyone on the slightest suspicion of infraction to meet that standard? Obviously not. Can he utterly ignore enforcement of a statute across all its various applications on his own whim and meet that standard? Obviously not. There's middle ground. Examples of leeway would include laws that they are completely impractical to enforce, laws that are hopelessly ambiguous, laws that are in conflict with some other law or themselves and as yet un-clarified by the courts.

Last edited:
Please note that Bush was criticized (correctly) for doing the same thing:
The president is indicating that he will not either enforce part or the entirety of congressional bills," said ABA president Michael S. Greco, a Massachusetts attorney. "We will be close to a constitutional crisis if this issue, the president's use of signing statements, is left unchecked."

The report seemed likely to fuel the controversy over signing statements, which Bush has used to challenge laws including a congressional ban on torture, a request for data on the USA Patriot Act, whistle-blower protections and the banning of U.S. troops in fighting rebels in Colombia.
http://michaelthompson.org/liberty/index.php?o=20060724#20060724

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
What's the difference between an "advisement" and an "order"?

And how is it ok for the President to "advise" his prosecutors to disregard federal law?

How did the president do this? Because someone he appointed made a judgment call about priorities in federal prosecution?
This isn't a signing statement like Bush.

If you read the memo it comes across as more of a sheriff telling his deputy not to watch crosswalks for jaywalkers all day, but to rather work on higher priority crimes.

To be honest, I figured by now this was pretty much rule of thumb for federal investigators. Prior to this memo, I doubt too many would go out of their way to book someone on medicinal marijuana, let alone someone with a serious illness.

"Of course, no State can authorize violations of federal law, and the list of factors above is not intended to describe exhaustively when a federal prosecution may be warranted. "

Which is obvious he's not intending to NOT prosecute them...EDIT:

For those that are arguing for or against what this memo said, without having actually, fully read it, please take the time to do so. Don't go on what the media is reporting from either side.
http://blogs.usdoj.gov/blog/archives/192

Hepth said:
How did the president do this? Because someone he appointed made a judgment call about priorities in federal prosecution?
This isn't a signing statement like Bush.
I am making an assumption there - I am assuming the Justice Department didn't come up with this policy on their own/in a vacuum. I think that it is a reasonable assumption. However, if it is wrong, then it just means Obama is off the hook (except insofar as now he should deal with the issue) and the Justice department is on it.

For the rest, are you saying you interpret from the memo that prosecutions for this crime will still occur under this policy, just not as many? Or do you read in it that no prosecutions will occur? I read that no prosecutions will occur.

russ_watters said:
The President cannot arbitrarily decide to throw out a law.
I agree, and that's not what happened.
but he can't simply discard a law entirely.
I agree, and that's not what happened.
What federal law makes it illegal to decline to prosecute drug users? The federal law makes one subject to prosecution, but does not require a prosecutor to prosecute it. This is true of laws in general, they allow but don't require prosecution.

It is simply and obviously not a violation of any law for a prosecutor to decline to prosecute "individuals with cancer or other serious illnesses who use marijuana as part of a recommended treatment regimen".

Hepth said:
If you read the memo it comes across as more of a sheriff telling his deputy not to watch crosswalks for jaywalkers all day, but to rather work on higher priority crimes.
That's pretty much how I view this.
EDIT:

For those that are arguing for or against what this memo said, without having actually, fully read it, please take the time to do so. Don't go on what the media is reporting from either side.

Thank you for that link.

But this Obama fella sure is peculiar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUze-oYsswI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUze-oYsswI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He actually keeps campaign promises. I always thought there was a rule against that.

OmCheeto said:

He actually keeps campaign promises. I always thought there was a rule against that.

So, the tally is up to one now?

seycyrus said:
So, the tally is up to one now?

48 according to the Obameter:

mainquote-obama-mug.gif

OmCheeto said:

mainquote-obama-mug.gif

I can't believe that site missed that chance to coin the word "ObamaMonitor"...what a shame.

russ_watters said:
What are you talking about? What technicality? Bigger fish? None of that bears any relation to what mheslep said. Mheslep provided no opinion about medical marijuana, only a complaint about the Obama administration not properly utilizing the functioning of government to make/repeal/enforce laws.

Anyway, I agree with him: if a law is on the books, it must be enforced. If a law is wrong, it should be challenged in the courts or repealed via the proper process. To order prosecutors not to do their jobs is unconstitutional.

You are incorrect. The execution of law at the federal level is the responsibility of the executive. Barring a specific direction by congress, the manner in which the executive branch enforces laws is at the discretion of the executive in so long as he executes the laws faithfully. This is a a case of prioritizing enforcement. An analogous situation would be where congress declares a war. The president must execute the war, but the choice of targets and strategy are ulimately up to him.

OmCheeto said:
[/URL]

Oh great, Politifact...

Hepth said:

To be honest, I figured by now this was pretty much rule of thumb for federal investigators. Prior to this memo, I doubt too many would go out of their way to book someone on medicinal marijuana, let alone someone with a serious illness.

"side.

Bush specifically targeted marijuana. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/jul/25/usa.richardluscombe

I recall reading that he actually specifically targeted medical producers, as he saw it as a gateway to legalization, but I will have to find the source for that.

EDIT: Found it.

"The Drug Enforcement Agency began raids in 2001 against patients using the drug and their caregivers in California, one of 11 states that legalized the use of marijuana for patients under a doctor's care. Among those arrested was Angel Raich, who has brain cancer, and Diane Monson, who grew cannabis in her garden to help alleviate chronic back pain."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/06/scotus.medical.marijuana/index.html

russ_watters said:
Please note that Bush was criticized (correctly) for doing the same thing: http://michaelthompson.org/liberty/index.php?o=20060724#20060724

These were cases of explicit restrictions (negative orders) by congress that were being ignored as oppossed to general directives (positive orders) that are arguably not being enforced.

By the way, this concept is related to the controversy ovr earmarking. Earmarks are specific directions for allocations of money. It was funny when people were on about banning earmarks, because it would have meant a dramatic expansion of executive power (the congress without earmarks could only appropriate funds to the execuive for general purposes, not give him specific directions.)

Al68 said:
I agree, and that's not what happened.I agree, and that's not what happened.What federal law makes it illegal to decline to prosecute drug users?
A II, S 3 has something to say on the matter.

The federal law makes one subject to prosecution, but does not require a prosecutor to prosecute it. This is true of laws in general, they allow but don't require prosecution.
There is indeed a requirement. The office requires that that care be taken to faithfully up hold the law. That noun and adjective are requirements, not options.

It is simply and obviously not a violation of any law for a prosecutor to decline to prosecute "individuals with cancer or other serious illnesses who use marijuana as part of a recommended treatment regimen".
The prosecutor can move various enforcements down the the to-do list and comply w/ the requirement, he can not remove it. Cancer or serious illness, from the constitutional perspective, is utterly irrelevant.

russ_watters said:
For the rest, are you saying you interpret from the memo that prosecutions for this crime will still occur under this policy, just not as many? Or do you read in it that no prosecutions will occur? I read that no prosecutions will occur.

After reading the memo a fourth time, just to make sure, I STILL read it as priority guidelines. The fact that he makes it clear that:

Of course, no State can authorize violations of federal law, and the list of factors above is not intended to describe exhaustively when a federal prosecution may be warranted.
Indeed, this memorandum does not alter in any way the Department’s authority to enforce federal law
This guidance regarding resource allocation does not “legalize” marijuana or provide a legal defense to a violation of federal law, nor is it intended to create any privileges, benefits, or rights, substantive or procedural, enforceable by any individual, party or witness in any administrative, civil, or criminal matter.
Nor does clear and unambiguous compliance with state law or the absence of one or all of the above factors create a legal defense to a violation of the Controlled Substances Act. Rather, this memorandum is intended solely as a guide to the exercise of investigative and prosecutorial discretion.

ANY violation is to still be upheld, just discretion and priority are to follow guidelines.
Though:
Your offices should continue to review marijuana cases for prosecution on a case-by-case basis

Marijuana use has yet to be correlated to accidental deaths in ways that hard drugs such as cocaine, heroin, or methyl-amphetamines have. Furthermore, alcohol-related deaths, accidents, property damage, and rape significantly outweigh the problems that arise from even excessive marijuana use.

By legalizing marijuana safety measures will be put in place which will markedly lower the potential negative effects of marijuana use- namely cancers. Can anyone tell me if they use a filter on their bong or blunts? Because I certainly never have. State-regulated marijuana use will almost definitely require that marijuanarettes (i should trademark that :-p) have filters.

Also, state-regulated marijuana will have to meet certain criteria for potency. Imagine never having to worry if you dime sack was garbage, or being able to go to the store and purchase varying strength marijuana. That would be amazing, in my opinion.

For all the haters- I'm fairly certain that Obama isn't trying to pass legislation DEMANDING the use of marijuana. You will still be free to abstain in the way that you do for cigarettes. Marijuana drug enforcement wastes untold amounts of tax-money that could be more responsibly allocated to preventing adolescents from getting involved in the traditionally 'hard drugs'.

Furthermore, teens and college students who are nabbed for their generally innocent use of marijuana have had their lives drastically changed. I have in the past had friends kicked out of college for repeat offenses against the marijuana policy. I know people who now have permanent records for possession of weed and have to write down on their job applications that they have a record because of 'drug charges' These students who were doing nothing to bother anyone else, were denied their chance to complete college for something as simple as smoking a few spliffs here and there. Personally, when I was in college, I found the raucous caused by drunken idiots to be FAR more distracting to me than the occasional pleasant whiff of weed.

Quit hating and move on. It's just weed. (and please, for everyone's sake, don't turn my, 'it's just weed' comment into a slippery slope argument, because that's just retarded.)

russ_watters said:
I think you missed my point. My point is that most people are making an issue of medical marijuana because they want to get high, not because they really care that much about medicines. If pot had a lot of medical uses but didn't make people high, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The moralizing is a smokescreen.

I think you missed my point. It does not matter if some medical marijuana advocates also favor recreational marijuna use as they are separate issues to be judges on sperate merits. I am not convinced that "most" medical marijuana advocated want to get high, or that those that do are (dispite their vested interest) sincere in their support of medical use. Opponents of medical marijuna are at least as biased, many oppose recreational marijuna use. If recreational quemo therapy users existed they would likely favor quemo therapy being available to cancer patients, but they would not be wrong. Pot is illegal because (or under the pretext) that it makes people high. If pot did not make people high its opponents (likely fewer) would be using different arguments. The moralizing is a central issue.

Biophreak said:
Marijuana use has yet to be correlated to accidental deaths in ways that hard drugs such as cocaine, heroin, or methyl-amphetamines ...
That post irrelevant to the tread (and inflammatory) - its about enforcement policy, not the merits of the Controlled Substance Act.

But the problem is, America has a tough time changing things.

Really I see no difference between marijuana for medical use and opiates for medicinal use. You can't argue that prescription drug abuse isn't rampant in our society (opiate) and that you can always find doctors willing to prescribe it without an issue.
But the fact of the matter is, we know it's use is beneficial to SOME, and as a people we deem it enough of a benefit to overlook the crazy abuse of opiates.
I don't see the difference with marijuana other than the fact that it was used recreationally BEFORE becoming a prescription drug, whereas opiates, though widely used in other forms, weren't pill form yet.

According to the US Depts of Health and H.Services:
From surveys, in 2002 (old data) 6.2 million americans admitted to abusing prescription painkillers (opiates), while marijuana "abuses" of the same type are upwards of 30 million if I'm not mistaken.

While the number for marijuana is 5 times greater, the danger of its use is minimal compared to prescription painkillers.I guess my argument is, if we can over look a potentially fatal, highly addictive, easily accessible prescription medication as a result of its availability in medicinal use, then marijuana shouldn't pose much of a problem or raise much of an argument. That is, unless you have a personal feeling about marijuana in particular rather than the idea of drug use on a whole, which is obviously shortsighted.

Also, as a personal opinion, I hate when people try to justify an argument based on "If they do this, it just opens the door to that" which NEVER seems to be the case in this country. Every step in either direction is a giant struggle, which as often as not comes back and appeals the previous precedent.

Hepth said:
But the problem is, America has a tough time changing things...
Often, yes. Maybe that's bad sometimes. So?