Object's Velocity in Black Hole: Calculate Final Vel.

In summary: I just told you there is no such thing as a uniquely definable velocity which would make physical sense. The entire point of the issue is that the space-time is so curved around the black hole that you cannot define a local frame covering the entire black hole and the... object within it.
Einstein's Cat
What would the final velocity of an object be as it falls into a black hole? I assume you could calculate the gravitational field strength of the black hole to determine the acceleration of the object and then calculate the final velocity with the equation

V(final) = gt + v(initial)

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot use Newtonian physics to describe a black hole and you cannot define "the" velocity without specifying a proper local inertial frame.

Einstein's Cat said:
What would the final velocity of an object be as it falls into a black hole? I assume you could calculate the gravitational field strength of the black hole to determine the acceleration of the object and then calculate the final velocity with the equation

V(final) = gt + v(initial)
That equation models gravity as a force that produces an acceleration which can be measured against an inertial coordinate system. In general relativity, gravity is not a force. Worse, there is no such thing as an inertial coordinate system that works in the neighborhood of a black hole. [Edit: you can define a local coordinate system that is approximately inertial, but you cannot extend it far enough to cover the entire fall while still remaining approximately inertial]. You can define non-inertial coordinate systems, but any velocity that you come up with will be as much a function of the coordinate system that you choose as a function of the object that you are considering.

Drat, beaten by Orodruin.

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
without specifying a proper local inertial frame.
How would one do that?

Einstein's Cat said:
How would one do that?
Pick, for instance, a coordinate system in which the object is at rest. Then its velocity is easy to compute.

Einstein's Cat said:
How would one do that?
The problem is that you have to ask "velocity relative to what?". In special relativity and Newtonian physics you can pick an object, any object, and measure the velocity of any other object with respect to that one. In general realtivity, however, you can't do that in general because curved spacetime makes the process of comparing the velocities of two objects that aren't in the same place an ambiguous process.

So you need to pick an object - perhaps one hovering just above the event horizon on a sufficiently powerful rocket. The black hole itself won't work (the event horizon isn't an object). Then you can ask what the velocity of an object free-falling into the hole is with respect to that object.

Likes Einstein's Cat
Ibix said:
The problem is that you have to ask "velocity relative to what?". In special relativity and Newtonian physics you can pick an object, any object, and measure the velocity of any other object with respect to that one. In general realtivity, however, you can't do that in general because curved spacetime makes the process of comparing the velocities of two objects that aren't in the same place an ambiguous process.

So you need to pick an object - perhaps one hovering just above the event horizon on a sufficiently powerful rocket. The black hole itself won't work (the event horizon isn't an object). Then you can ask what the velocity of an object free-falling into the hole is with respect to that object.
Please... What would the free- falling object's velocity be? Would it not exceed c due to special theory of relativity?

Einstein's Cat said:
Please... What would the free- falling object's velocity be? Would it not exceed c due to special theory of relativity?
Not a clue. Still learning this stuff myself. It cannot exceed the speed of light, though, and special relativity isn't applicable anywhere gravity is relevant.

Likes Einstein's Cat and Binky
Ibix said:
Not a clue. Still learning this stuff myself. It cannot exceed the speed of light, though, and special relativity isn't applicable anywhere gravity is relevant.
It cannot exceed the speed of light in any locally inertial frame. It can exceed the speed of light if one measures against a non-inertial frame. But that measured speed is largely meaningless.

Likes Einstein's Cat
Einstein's Cat said:
You also cannot apply the special theory of relativity to a black hole, other than in a small local region - a local inertial frame. There is no global velocity which the object will have "relative to the black hole".

Orodruin said:
You also cannot apply the special theory of relativity to a black hole, other than in a small local region - a local inertial frame. There is no global velocity which the object will have "relative to the black hole".
I see; may I inquire what the object's velocity would be?

Einstein's Cat said:
I see; may I inquire what the object's velocity would be?
I just told you there is no such thing as a uniquely definable velocity which would make physical sense. The entire point of the issue is that the space-time is so curved around the black hole that you cannot define a local frame covering the entire black hole and the object. You simply cannot define the object's velocity in a relevant way.

Orodruin said:
I just told you there is no such thing as a uniquely definable velocity which would make physical sense. The entire point of the issue is that the space-time is so curved around the black hole that you cannot define a local frame covering the entire black hole and the object. You simply cannot define the object's velocity in a relevant way.
I apologise for my ignorance; and thank you
for all your help

I don't think there's a straightforward answer. There isn't a single answer to "how fast does an object hit the floor" in Newtonian physics - it depends on how high it falls from and how fast it was pushed as well as whether it has any tangential velocity. So you need to specify an initial position and state of motion.

Relativity just makes things worse by insisting that you specify a set of coordinates, which is equivalent to specifying who is doing the observing of the fall. At that point, you can get a physically meaningful answer - but because it's specified relative to a particular observer it's only meaningful to that observer. Other observers at the same place would say the speed was different, while observers in other places would say the speed isn't well defined from their perspective.

Edit: I think...

Likes Einstein's Cat

Related to Object's Velocity in Black Hole: Calculate Final Vel.

1. What is the formula for calculating an object's final velocity in a black hole?

The formula for calculating an object's final velocity in a black hole is v = √(2GM/R), where v is the final velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the black hole, and R is the distance from the center of the black hole to the object.

2. How does an object's mass affect its final velocity in a black hole?

An object's mass has no direct effect on its final velocity in a black hole. The final velocity is mainly determined by the mass of the black hole and the distance from the center of the black hole to the object.

3. What is the significance of the event horizon in determining an object's final velocity in a black hole?

The event horizon, which is the point of no return for an object falling into a black hole, is directly related to the final velocity of an object in a black hole. The closer an object is to the event horizon, the higher its final velocity will be.

4. Can an object achieve the speed of light when falling into a black hole?

No, according to the theory of relativity, an object with mass cannot reach the speed of light. As the object approaches the event horizon of a black hole, its speed will approach the speed of light, but it will never reach it.

5. How does the size of a black hole impact an object's final velocity?

The size of a black hole does not directly impact an object's final velocity. The mass and the distance from the center of the black hole to the object are the main factors that determine the final velocity. However, larger black holes have stronger gravitational pull, which can result in higher final velocities for objects falling into them.