Observing Bright Stars: Project Checkup

• Thread starter Berdi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation revolves around conducting an observing project of Bright Stars using the transit time of the meridian. The speaker is unsure about the accuracy of their calculations and asks for confirmation. They also mention using the position of the sun in their calculations, but the other person points out that this is not necessary and suggests using the transit time of the vernal point instead.
Berdi
I've been asked by my astrophysics lecture to conduct an observing project of Bright Stars, using the time at which they transit the meridian to locate them on the sky. I was just wondering if you could check my "thoughts" so far?

The Hour Angle of a star is 0 at the time it crosses the meridian, so my LST will be equal to the stars right ascension? So GST will be RAStar + my Longitude?

Now, am I right in thinking that GST would be also equal to the GHA and RA of the sun on that day? So using Universal Time = GHASun -[tex]\xi[/tex] + 12hrs, I can sub in my known RASun, longitude and RAStar in place of GHASun?

Is this remotely correct? I tried to calculate a value, and ran it through using http://www.stellarium.org/" , but it seemed completely wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Berdi said:
Now, am I right in thinking that GST would be also equal to the GHA and RA of the sun on that day?

Why would this be true? The position of the Sun has nothing to do with sidereal time. Since you're trying to find the right ascension of stars in the first place, why not time the transit of the vernal point? Right now, Aries is easily visible in mid-latitudes after sunset.

1. What is the purpose of "Observing Bright Stars: Project Checkup"?

The purpose of "Observing Bright Stars: Project Checkup" is to monitor and track the brightness of a specific group of stars over time. This project allows scientists to gather data on the behavior and changes of these stars and analyze their patterns.

2. How are the bright stars being observed in this project?

The bright stars are being observed through the use of telescopes and specialized equipment. The telescopes are pointed towards the specific group of stars and their brightness is measured and recorded regularly.

3. What is the significance of observing bright stars?

Observing bright stars allows scientists to gain a better understanding of the universe and how it evolves over time. It also helps in studying the life cycle of stars and their impact on surrounding objects and systems.

4. What are the potential benefits of "Observing Bright Stars: Project Checkup"?

There are several potential benefits of this project, including a better understanding of the behavior and characteristics of bright stars, the ability to predict and track potential changes in these stars, and potentially discovering new information about the universe.

5. How can the general public get involved in "Observing Bright Stars: Project Checkup"?

The general public can get involved by participating in citizen science programs or joining organizations that work on this project. They can also support the project through donations or by spreading awareness about the importance of observing bright stars.