Obtaining power distribution of faded signal

In summary, to obtain the power distribution from an amplitude fading distribution (Ricean, Rayleigh, or Nagakami fading), the following steps can be taken:1. Find the mathematical relation between power and amplitude, typically p = r^2 where p is the signal power and r is the signal envelope/amplitude.2. Derive the expression for p by taking the derivative of p with respect to r, i.e. dp/dr = 2r.3. Rearrange the equation to make dp the subject, i.e. dp = 2rdr.4. Integrate the envelope probability density function (pdf) over dp using the equation dp = 2rdr.It is important to note that fading is
JamesGoh
If I want to obtain the power distribution from an amplitude fading distribution (whether it is Ricean, Rayleigh or Nagakami fading), do I simply do the following ?

1. Find the mathematical relation between the power and amplitude (which in most cases is p=r^2 where p=signal power, r= signal envelope/amplitude)

2. Derive the expression for p, i.e. dp/dr = 2r

3. Make dp the subject, i.e. dp = 2rdr

4. Integrate the envelope pdf over dp, using dp=2rdr

regards
James

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, fading is not a stationary signal. Lots of signal processing algorithms first presume you have stationary or at least cyclostationary signals. The latter can be used with antenna diversity (multiple antenna) to extract enough information.

my problem is resolved. it was actually a case of using the Jacobian and variable transformation

1. How is power distribution of a faded signal obtained?

The power distribution of a faded signal is obtained through a process called power spectral density (PSD) estimation. This involves analyzing the power of a signal at different frequencies using mathematical algorithms.

2. Why is it important to obtain the power distribution of a faded signal?

Obtaining the power distribution of a faded signal is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the signal in different frequency ranges. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing communication systems and signal processing techniques.

3. What factors can affect the power distribution of a faded signal?

The power distribution of a faded signal can be affected by various factors such as environmental conditions, interference from other signals, and the distance between the transmitter and receiver. Additionally, the characteristics of the fading channel, such as multipath propagation and shadowing, can also impact the power distribution.

4. What are the methods used for obtaining the power distribution of a faded signal?

There are several methods for obtaining the power distribution of a faded signal, including Fourier transform, autocorrelation, and periodogram. Other techniques such as maximum likelihood estimation and Bayesian estimation can also be used for more accurate results.

5. How can the power distribution of a faded signal be used in practical applications?

The power distribution of a faded signal can be used in various practical applications, such as wireless communication systems, radar systems, and satellite communication. By understanding the power distribution, we can improve the performance of these systems by adapting the transmission parameters to better suit the fading characteristics of the channel.