Odd and even functions, recangular coordinates

In summary, if f and g are odd and even functions, respectively, with f(a)=b and g(c)=b and b cannot equal 0, then the expression [f(-a)/g(-c)] + f(-a) - g(-c) is equal to -1. For the second problem, if r=4sin(angle) is converted to rectangular coordinates, then the equation becomes (x-2)^2 + y^2 = 4.
Tiome_nguyen
1.if f and g are odd and even functions , respectively, such that f(a)= b and g(c) = b, b cannot equal 0,
then [f(-a)/g(-c)] + f(-a) - g(-c) =

A. -1
B. -1-2b
C. -1+2b
D. 1-2b
E. 1+2b

2.if r= 4 sin(angle) is converted to rectangular coordinates , then
A. x^2 + (y-2)^2 = 4
B. (x-2)^2 + y^2 = 4
C. x^2 +y^2 = 16
D. x^2 +4y^2 = 4
E (x-2)^2 + (y-2)^2 = 4

i don't know how to solve number 1, I'm not sure my solution for number 2

i don't get number 1
number 2: i saw a problem like the question is r=4cos(angle) and solution is
(x-2)^2 + y^2 = 2 , so i guessed A is solution for number 2, please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't going to get very far guessing at all the answers. For 1) look up the definition of odd and even and figure out what f(-a) and g(-c) might be in relation to b. For 2) multiply both sides by r and then look up some standard formulas for conversion between polar and rectangular. You have to show some effort here beyond just guessing.

I agree that go back to the definition of odd and even function will be helpful.
f(x)=-f(-x) and g(x)=g(-x),so f(-a)=-b, g(-c)=g(c)=b
Now,I'm sure you know how to solve it

FAQ: Odd and even functions, recangular coordinates

1. What is an odd function?

An odd function is a type of mathematical function where the output value changes sign when the input value is changed to its opposite value. This means that f(x) = -f(-x). In other words, if the input is multiplied by -1, the output will be multiplied by -1 as well. Odd functions are symmetric about the origin.

2. What is an even function?

An even function is a type of mathematical function where the output value remains the same when the input value is changed to its opposite value. This means that f(x) = f(-x). In other words, the input and output values have the same sign. Even functions are symmetric about the y-axis.

3. How do you determine if a function is odd or even?

To determine if a function is odd or even, you can use the symmetry properties mentioned above. If f(-x) = -f(x), then the function is odd. If f(-x) = f(x), then the function is even. Another way to determine this is by looking at the power of the variable in the function. If the power is odd, the function is odd. If the power is even, the function is even.

4. What are rectangular coordinates?

Rectangular coordinates, also known as Cartesian coordinates, are a system of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using two perpendicular axes (usually x and y). The x-axis represents the horizontal position, while the y-axis represents the vertical position. Points are represented by an ordered pair (x,y), where x is the distance from the y-axis and y is the distance from the x-axis.

5. How do you plot a point in rectangular coordinates?

To plot a point in rectangular coordinates, you need to identify the x and y values of the point. Then, on a graph, you can locate the x-value on the x-axis and the y-value on the y-axis. The point where the two values intersect is where the point is located. You can also use the distance from the origin, or (0,0), to plot the point.