What is the proper format for solving this ODE using an Excel add-in calculator?

In summary, an industry professional is attempting to solve an ODE using a Calculus add-in for Excel. The equation they are trying to solve is in the form of a nonlinear algebraic equation, but the ODE solver they are using expects an equation of the form \dot y = f(t,y). They suspect that the solver may be solving for x_2 instead of just x_1, and they may need to transform the equation to match the expected form before solving.
jknight291
I am attempting to solve an ODE using a Calculus add-in for Excel. I am an industry professional and I have not even thought about Differential Equations in 8 years. The equation that I am attempting to solve is in the form:

(1)

The ODE solver that I am using solves equations of the form:

(2)

The results that I get by solving equation 1 above using my Excel Add-in for ODEs is a sinusoidal type reaction. However, when I solve numerically I get the expected result.

I think my ODE solver may be solving for
and not just x`1. I tried to transform the results using algebra but the results were still obscure.

I think I may need to transform equation 1 to match the format of equation 2 before solving, but I am not sure. Like I said, it has been several years since taking a DE course so I am little rusty.

Can anyone offer some help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##x_2##?

A nonlinear algebraic equation. I am solving this as a system of equations.

To echo @Gaussian97,

What is [itex]x_2[/itex]? Is it a constant? Is it a known function of time? Is there another ODE which governs its evolution over time?

If the ODE solver expects an equation of the form [itex]\dot y = f(t,y)[/itex] then you will need to put your ODE into that form before solving. Now by the chain rule [tex]
\frac{dx_1^{-0.286}}{dt} = -{0.286}x_1^{-1.286}\frac{dx_1}{dt}[/tex] so [tex]
\frac{dx_1}{dt} = -\frac{x_1^{1.286}}{0.286}C(x_1^{-0.286} - x_2^{-0.286}).[/tex]

1. What is the "ODE in Excel Calculus Add-In"?

The "ODE in Excel Calculus Add-In" is a software tool that allows users to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) in Microsoft Excel. It is designed for scientists, engineers, and students who need to solve ODEs as part of their work or studies.

2. How does the "ODE in Excel Calculus Add-In" work?

The add-in uses numerical methods to solve ODEs, such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and Adams-Bashforth methods. Users can input their ODEs and initial conditions into an Excel spreadsheet, and the add-in will calculate and display the solution in the spreadsheet.

3. Can the "ODE in Excel Calculus Add-In" handle complex ODEs?

Yes, the add-in can handle complex ODEs with multiple variables and initial conditions. It also has the ability to solve systems of ODEs, where multiple equations are interconnected.

4. Is the "ODE in Excel Calculus Add-In" user-friendly?

Yes, the add-in is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. It has a simple interface and provides helpful instructions and examples to guide users through the process of solving ODEs in Excel.

5. Can I use the "ODE in Excel Calculus Add-In" for educational purposes?

Yes, the add-in is a great tool for students learning about ODEs and numerical methods. It allows them to practice solving ODEs in a familiar program like Excel, and also provides a visual representation of the solution, making it easier to understand the concept.