Solving ODE: y = $\sqrt {x\ln (x)}$ w/ Initial Conditions

In summary: The theorem on existence and uniqueness does not hold for these initial conditions. However, what you have found is a solution, y= \sqrt{xln(x)}, which is defined on an interval around x= 1.
supercali

Homework Statement

given this ODE with initial conditions y(1)=0
[tex] \[
(x + y^2 )dx - 2xydy = 0
\][/tex]

Homework Equations

solving this ODE gives us
[tex]\[y = \sqrt {x\ln (x)} \][/tex]
as we can see this equation is true only for x>=1
in order to use the theorem on existence and uniqueness we isulate for y'=f(x,y)
[tex]\[y' = \frac{{(x + y^2 )}}{{2xy}}\][/tex]
and we can see that when y=0 the equation is not defined

The Attempt at a Solution

my question is
1) if x>=1 does that mean that the bound for y is y>=0?
2)if it meaas that y>=0 then should i conclude that the theorem on existence and uniqueness does not apply here since the function is not continuous thus we can't say that the solution is unique? what does it mean
thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, since [itex](x+y^2)/(2xy)[/itex] does not exist when y=0, the "existence and uniqueness" theorem does not hold here. That means we cannot conclude that a unique solution exists on any open interval around x= 1. But it might be true anyway.

What you have done is find a solution, [itex]y= \sqrt{xln(x)}[/itex], That is defined only for x> 1 (and y must be positive)- that is not defined on an open interval containing x= 1. But, in fact, what happens here is that there DOES exist a solution on an interval around x= 1: y= 0 for all x is such a second solution. The solution is not unique on the x> 1.

HallsofIvy said:
But, in fact, what happens here is that there DOES exist a solution on an interval around x= 1: y= 0 for all x is such a second solution. The solution is not unique on the x> 1.

if can please elaborate more i don't think i understand what you mean

What part do you not understand? Surely it is obvious that y= 0 for all x is a solution to that problem.

well y=0 is not a solution as i see it if i put it in my original equation it doesn't solve it

what i don't understand is if for these initial conditions the theorem on uniqueness and existence apply or not? and if it doesn't apply what can i say on the solution i found hence is it a solution or not?

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It is often used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. How do you solve an ODE?

There are several methods for solving ODEs, including separation of variables, substitution, and integration. The specific method used depends on the type of ODE and its initial conditions.

3. How do you find the initial conditions?

Initial conditions are the values of the function and its derivative at a specific point, usually denoted as x0 and y0. These values can be given in the problem statement or can be calculated using known values of the function and its derivative.

4. Can you solve an ODE with more than one initial condition?

Yes, an ODE can be solved with multiple initial conditions. This is known as a boundary value problem and requires a different approach than a problem with a single initial condition.

5. Can you solve any ODE analytically?

Not all ODEs can be solved analytically, meaning with a closed-form solution. Some ODEs are too complex and require numerical methods for approximation. However, many simple ODEs can be solved analytically using the appropriate method.