1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE RC Circuit Problem

Tags:
  1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose an RC series circuit has a variable resistor. If the resistance at time t is given by by R = a + bt, where a and b are known positive constants then the charge q(t) on the capacitor satisfies

(a+bt) q' + (1/C)q = V

where V is some constant. Also q(0) = q_0
    Find q(t) as an explicit function of t.

2. Relevant equations

Now I have obtained the answer, however my main question is: am I allowed to treat C (capacitance) as a constant in this equation. It doesn't specify in the question, but to my knowledge (unless I am wrong of course) capacitance is a constant value and only depends on material and physical parameters of the capacitor itself (how it is build).

If I can't treat C as a constant then I believe there is no way to evaluate the integral in integrating factor and I'd have to leave it as it is.

Process is simple from there, I rewrite the equation in standart form, find the integrating factor and obtain a formula for q(t), evaluate an integration constant with q(0) = q_0 and obtain the overall solution q(t).

The answer looks quite frightening btw

3. My solution:
    attached pdf file

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2
    The capacitance must be constant during the all process, which just depends on its material and geometric shape, as what you say above,

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Is there some reason you're not simplifying ##\frac{(a+bt)^k}{a+bt}## to ##(a+bt)^{k-1}## and integrating the righthand side? Also, the ##t## in the integral is a dummy variable, so it's not correct to set it to 0.

5. Sep 17, 2015 #4
    That's what my prof does. By setting it from 0 to t, we ensure evaluated integral is equal to the true value with t as a variable, how would setting it to something arbitary as t_o (I'm assuming that's what you mean)be any better? My understanding of it is that we need to choose some "convenient" interval, what's wrong with 0 to t?

And thank you for pointing out I can actually simplify it further, I completely missed that.

6. Sep 17, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What I'm saying is you can't do something like this:
    $$\int (a+bt)^2\,dt = \int a\,dt$$ by claiming you're setting ##t=0##. The ##t## inside the integral isn't the same ##t## that appears elsewhere.

7. Sep 17, 2015 #6
    I see what you mean, my mistake, thank you for pointing it out. I see holes in my knowledge about understanding of basic integration now, will have to fill them in :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted