Understanding Integrals and the Importance of Constants

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an RC series circuit with a variable resistor and a capacitor. The charge on the capacitor is represented by the equation (a+bt) q' + (1/C)q = V, where a and b are known constants and V is a constant. The question is whether or not C (capacitance) can be treated as a constant in this equation. The conversation also discusses the process of solving the equation and finding an overall solution. The conversation ends with the clarification that the variable t in the integral is not the same as the t in the rest of the equation.
keyermoond

Homework Statement

Suppose an RC series circuit has a variable resistor. If the resistance at time t is given by by R = a + bt, where a and b are known positive constants then the charge q(t) on the capacitor satisfies

(a+bt) q' + (1/C)q = V

where V is some constant. Also q(0) = q_0
Find q(t) as an explicit function of t.

Homework Equations

Now I have obtained the answer, however my main question is: am I allowed to treat C (capacitance) as a constant in this equation. It doesn't specify in the question, but to my knowledge (unless I am wrong of course) capacitance is a constant value and only depends on material and physical parameters of the capacitor itself (how it is build).

If I can't treat C as a constant then I believe there is no way to evaluate the integral in integrating factor and I'd have to leave it as it is.

Process is simple from there, I rewrite the equation in standart form, find the integrating factor and obtain a formula for q(t), evaluate an integration constant with q(0) = q_0 and obtain the overall solution q(t).

The answer looks quite frightening btw

3. My solution:
attached pdf file

Attachments

• solution.pdf
    935.7 KB · Views: 215
Physics news on Phys.org
The capacitance must be constant during the all process, which just depends on its material and geometric shape, as what you say above,

Likes keyermoond
Is there some reason you're not simplifying ##\frac{(a+bt)^k}{a+bt}## to ##(a+bt)^{k-1}## and integrating the righthand side? Also, the ##t## in the integral is a dummy variable, so it's not correct to set it to 0.

Likes keyermoond
That's what my prof does. By setting it from 0 to t, we ensure evaluated integral is equal to the true value with t as a variable, how would setting it to something arbitary as t_o (I'm assuming that's what you mean)be any better? My understanding of it is that we need to choose some "convenient" interval, what's wrong with 0 to t?

And thank you for pointing out I can actually simplify it further, I completely missed that.

keyermoond said:
That's what my prof does. By setting it from 0 to t, we ensure evaluated integral is equal to the true value with t as a variable, how would setting it to something arbitary as t_o (I'm assuming that's what you mean)be any better? My understanding of it is that we need to choose some "convenient" interval, what's wrong with 0 to t?
What I'm saying is you can't do something like this:
$$\int (a+bt)^2\,dt = \int a\,dt$$ by claiming you're setting ##t=0##. The ##t## inside the integral isn't the same ##t## that appears elsewhere.

Likes keyermoond
vela said:
What I'm saying is you can't do something like this:
$$\int (a+bt)^2\,dt = \int a\,dt$$ by claiming you're setting ##t=0##. The ##t## inside the integral isn't the same ##t## that appears elsewhere.
I see what you mean, my mistake, thank you for pointing it out. I see holes in my knowledge about understanding of basic integration now, will have to fill them in :)

What is an ODE RC circuit problem?

An ODE RC circuit problem is a type of problem in which you use ordinary differential equations (ODEs) to analyze the behavior of a circuit consisting of a resistor (R) and capacitor (C). The ODEs are used to describe the rate of change of voltage or current in the circuit over time.

How do you solve an ODE RC circuit problem?

To solve an ODE RC circuit problem, you first need to write out the ODEs that describe the circuit. These can be found using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. Next, you can use techniques such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms to solve the ODEs and find the equations for voltage and current in the circuit.

What is the time constant in an ODE RC circuit problem?

The time constant (τ) in an ODE RC circuit problem is a measure of how quickly the voltage or current in the circuit changes. It is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) in the circuit, and has units of seconds. A larger time constant means the circuit takes longer to reach its steady state behavior.

What is the steady state behavior of an ODE RC circuit?

The steady state behavior of an ODE RC circuit is the behavior that the circuit settles into after a long period of time. In this state, the voltage and current in the circuit are no longer changing, and the equations for them become simpler. The steady state behavior can be found by taking the limit as time approaches infinity in the equations for voltage and current.

How is an ODE RC circuit problem related to real-world applications?

ODE RC circuit problems have many real-world applications, such as in electronic devices and power grids. They can be used to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits and predict how they will respond to different inputs. This information is crucial in designing and troubleshooting circuits for various applications.