# of accelerators in a car?

• Thread starter justinbaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of acceleration and the question of how many "accelerators" are in a car. The conversation concludes that there are at least three accelerators in a car - the gas pedal, the brake, and the steering wheel. However, depending on the strictness of the teacher, there could be other factors that can affect the car's velocity, such as the air conditioner, electrical accessories, and the transmission.
justinbaker
Any help would be great,
How many "accelerators" are in your car? There are at least 3 that can be used to accelerate the car. What are they, and what accelerations do they produce?

I know this is a simple question, but i am very confused. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the concept of acceleration.

Think of this way: An accelerator is anything that changes the velocity of the car in any way.

still a little confused i guess. i don't really see at least 3 accelerators

is the engine considered one, or am i just way off

The question is asking for a list of the controls inside your car that can change the car's speed or direction (which, together, are called velocity).

- Warren

ok i see so are they gas pedal which produces positive a
brake which produces a negative a
and the steering wheel since it produces centripetal acceleration

what ya'll think?

You got it.

- Warren

Depending on how picky your teacher is, there are a lot of other "accelerators" in your car. Your air condititioner robs power from the engine when you turn it on. This slows down your car until you apply more gas from the gas pedel. To a much lesser extent, every electrical accessory does the same. It's small and unnoticable, but turning on your headlights, or even increasing the volume on your stereo increases the load on your alternator, which increases the load on your engine and slows you down, but its very insignificant. Also, rolling down the windows makes your car less aerodynamic, which slows it down. And of course the transmission can be shifted into a different gear and cause your car to change velocity.

I imagine accelerator, brake and steering wheel are the answers they're looking for.

1. How many accelerators does a car have?

A car typically has only one accelerator, also known as the gas pedal. This pedal controls the flow of fuel to the engine, allowing the car to accelerate.

2. Do all cars have accelerators?

Yes, all cars have accelerators. Without an accelerator, the car would not be able to move forward or increase its speed.

3. Can you add more accelerators to a car?

No, it is not possible to add more accelerators to a car. The number of accelerators in a car is determined by its design and cannot be changed.

4. Do electric cars have accelerators?

Yes, electric cars also have accelerators, although they may operate differently than traditional gas-powered cars. In electric cars, the accelerator controls the flow of electricity to the motor, which propels the car forward.

5. Are there any safety features related to the accelerator in a car?

Yes, there are safety features related to the accelerator in a car. For example, most cars have a feature called "electronic throttle control" which helps prevent sudden acceleration and allows the car's computer to intervene if the accelerator becomes stuck.