What are the secret codes and handshakes for physics majors?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a person announcing their official listing as a physics major and wondering about any secret handshakes or passwords. They also discussed the possibility of a minor in astronomy and the concept of the "Physics Mafia," a group of physicists who take care of their own and may have a strong influence in the field. Some jokingly compared physics to a religion and the physicists to the Mafia. The conversation ended with a welcoming message to the newly declared physics major.
Andromeda321
Well guys I took a look at the department website and I am now officially listed as a physics major for the class of 2008! There are twelve of us and I am one of the two females, but that'll probably double by next year.
So just wondering, are there any secret handshakes and passwords I should be informed of? :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL! Just your login for PF. :biggrin:

Are you doing any kind of a minor or specialization in astronomy or planetary science? I always figured you go that route.

Andromeda321 said:
So just wondering, are there any secret handshakes and passwords I should be informed of? :tongue2:

Yes. :cool:

Are you doing any kind of a minor or specialization in astronomy or planetary science? I always figured you go that route.
As of right now I'm getting an astronomy minor but plan to live in the astro department anyway, so essentially an astronomy major who happens to get a physics degree (whereas if I majored in astro I'd get the equivilancy in physics of about a BA). I was thinking it over and decided that it's probably best to get a good physics background then go to grad school for astronomy instead of actually majoring in astronomy in the beginning. There are a few more reasons but I won't bore you all with them. :wink:

So Ivan, care to elaborate? *bats eyes a little*

Andromeda321 said:
So Ivan, care to elaborate? *bats eyes a little*

We can't let them know about it. ...talk later. :wink:

Ivan Seeking said:
We can't let them know about it. ...talk later. :wink:

:uhh: Who, us? We'll keep the secret. I promise, I won't tell a soul!

Now, I might know of a few soulless people I could tell...

Do you think I'm stupid?

Two words: Physics Mafia

Andromeda321 said:
Well guys I took a look at the department website and I am now officially listed as a physics major for the class of 2008! There are twelve of us and I am one of the two females, but that'll probably double by next year.

A major what??:confused: Better not be a major loser ...

:tongue2:

Ivan Seeking said:
Do you think I'm stupid?

I'm aware of the Physics Mafia. Don't worry, they won't be a problem. The family takes care of their own.

They're the soulless ones paying me to find out the secret handshake.

Ivan Seeking said:
Do you think I'm stupid?

What? So is this how physicists get their degrees? By paying 'protection money' to the Physics Mafia and use strongarm tactics against the government to get research grants?!

hehe, actually kinda cool concept. Do you physics mafiosos wear fedoras?

Nobody reads white text, do they? :uhh: o:)

Moonbear said:
The family takes care of their own.

Yes that's true...kind of like the Mormons.

Wait, physicists are Mormons?? :bugeye:

motai said:
What? So is this how physicists get their degrees? By paying 'protection money' to the Physics Mafia and use strongarm tactics against the government to get research grants?!

Against the government ? We ARE the government...Physics is not just a science, it is a real way of life, a religion and a philisophy...

La famiglia is omni sapient and omni present, we are all mutually entangeled...

Just when you are trying to get out, we will pull you right back in :cool:

Kindest Regards,

Marlon,
Capo di tutti capi,
Siete benedetto mio figlio o:)

Ivan Seeking said:
Do you think I'm stupid?

Yup.

Welcome to the fold Andromeda. Welcome to the fold.

1. What is a Physics major?

A Physics major is a field of study that focuses on the fundamental principles of matter, energy, and the physical universe. It involves the study of topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. What can I do with a Physics major?

A Physics major can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as research, academia, engineering, and technology. Graduates can also pursue further studies in graduate programs or professional schools.

3. What skills will I develop as a Physics major?

As a Physics major, you will develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong foundation in mathematics and scientific principles. You will also gain hands-on experience with laboratory equipment and data analysis.

4. Is a Physics major difficult?

Like any major, a Physics major can be challenging. It requires a strong understanding of mathematics, critical thinking skills, and dedication to studying scientific principles. However, with hard work and determination, anyone can succeed in this major.

5. What makes a Physics major different from other science majors?

Physics is often referred to as the "fundamental science" because it seeks to explain the fundamental principles of the physical world. It focuses on understanding the laws and theories that govern the behavior of matter and energy. Other science majors may focus on specific areas of study, such as biology or chemistry.