Does Ohm's law hold true for materials with zero resistance?

In summary, when a potential difference is applied, charged particles accelerate but quickly reach a terminal speed due to collisions with the conductor and each other. In the hypothetical scenario of zero resistance and an ideal voltage supply, the current would be infinity, but in reality, nothing is perfect.
Sefrez
Hopefully this is a simple question.

When a potential difference is applied, do charged particles begin to accelerate and then reach a terminal speed due to resistance where resistance would have to be proportional to that speed? In other words, if there was this magical material with zero resistance and a magical supplier, would i → ∞ as the equation shows?

Physics news on Phys.org
The charged particles begin to accelerate when they feel electric field, but reach terminal velocity very soon because of collisions with the ions of the conductor and with each other.

In case of a piece of zero-resistance metal and ideal voltage supply, the current will be infinity. But nothing is perfect :tongue2

ehild

Ok, that is what I figured. Thanks. :)

FAQ: Does Ohm's law hold true for materials with zero resistance?

1. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. How is Ohm's law represented mathematically?

Ohm's law can be represented mathematically as: I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. This equation is often written as V = IR or R = V/I, depending on which variable is being solved for.

3. What is the significance of the letter "I" in Ohm's law?

The letter "I" in Ohm's law represents the current, which is the flow of electrical charge through a conductor. In this context, current is measured in amperes and is represented by the symbol I.

4. How does Ohm's law apply to real-world circuits?

Ohm's law is a fundamental principle that applies to all electrical circuits, including real-world circuits. It helps us understand and predict how current will behave in a circuit based on the voltage and resistance present. In practical applications, Ohm's law is used to design and troubleshoot circuits, as well as to select appropriate components for a given circuit.

5. Can Ohm's law be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Ohm's law can be applied to all types of circuits, including series, parallel, and complex circuits. However, it is important to note that Ohm's law is a simplification and does not take into account factors such as temperature, non-linear components, and changing resistance. These factors may affect the accuracy of Ohm's law in certain situations, but it remains a useful tool in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits.