Ohm's Law Validity: Does it Change with Heat?

In summary, Ohm's law is not always valid and there are specific materials that do not follow it, such as diodes and transistors. Resistance can change as current flows and the resistor heats up, as the resistor is designed to handle a certain workload. However, for many devices called resistors, Ohm's law holds true over a wide range of values, with the assumption that resistance is constant.
dlp248

Homework Statement

When would Ohm's law not be valid. Does Ohm's law only work with specific resistors, i.e. when R = 25 ohms? As the current flows and the resistor heats up does resistance change?

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say that no, Ohm's law is not going to be valid all the time. There are specific materials that are designed to be resistors and can handle a certain amount of current. I've been reading about diodes and I'm not really sure what they are, but I believe they do not hold true to Ohm's law. I also want to say that conductors and transistors do not apply to Ohm's law. From these conclusions, I think that as current flows and the resistor heats up, resistance does change because the resistor is meant to handle a certain work load. As those parameters change, the resistor would probably fail and resistance would lessen.

Physics news on Phys.org
If one simply defines resistance as Voltage/Current, then V = I R holds. But, as you clearly point out, for a lot of situations R is not a constant, which takes away the predictive capability of Ohm's law for those situations.

But even for diodes, light dependent resistors, etc. one can call ##\Delta V / \Delta I## the resistance at a given V, and for (very) small ##\Delta V##.

Common understanding of Ohm's law includes the silent assumption / implicit condition that R is constant. It is a linear model, a simplification of reality. In practice it holds over many orders of magnitude for the devices we call resistors, but not for all: too much current and they blow up. Then you have ##R=\infty## :)

1. What is Ohm's Law and how does it relate to heat?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This relationship remains valid even with changes in temperature, also known as heat.

2. How does heat affect the resistance of a conductor?

As the temperature of a conductor increases, the resistance also increases. This is because heat causes the atoms in the material to vibrate more, which hinders the movement of electrons and increases the resistance to the flow of current.

3. Does Ohm's Law still apply to materials that have a non-linear relationship between voltage and current?

Yes, Ohm's Law still applies to materials that have a non-linear relationship between voltage and current. However, it may only be valid for a specific range of voltage and current values, as the resistance of the material may change significantly outside of this range.

4. How does temperature affect the voltage in a circuit?

Temperature has no direct effect on voltage in a circuit. However, as the resistance of a conductor changes with temperature, the voltage may also change to maintain a constant current, according to Ohm's Law.

5. Can Ohm's Law be used to calculate the resistance of a conductor at different temperatures?

Ohm's Law can be used to calculate the resistance of a conductor at different temperatures, as long as the material follows a linear relationship between voltage and current. However, for materials with a non-linear relationship, the resistance must be measured experimentally at different temperatures to determine the effect of heat on the resistance.