On a scale of 1 to String, how speculative is this?

In summary: I don't know, the structure of these groups?The difference between U(n) and SU(n) is just the determinant.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.09158
Is this a legitimite thing? I've never heard of 4th color charge or quark-lepton unification.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just for a little extra perspective, here is the author's profile:
http://inspirehep.net/author/profile/C.Xiong.2

Nothing really stood out to me, other than Citation count, affilliations, and the lack of collaboration. His fields of study seemed to be all semi-related. Is there something that I should be looking at specifically here?

Man, so much stuff to go through. Thanks for the links, hopefully I can make it through them. Normally anything in this realm leads me down a trail of breadcrumbs in order to understand one paper. It'd be so cool to know stuff and not have to look it up everytime haha.

I don't understand this on the princeton link:
"3)If appropriate spontaneous-symmetry breaking is postulated, there is the (logically independant) possibility of baryonic quarks transforming into leptons, with a violation of baryon and lepton number conservation"

They say previously that all models of gauge interactions share these qualities. Isn't the standard model a gauge theory? If not then I suppose my question is irrelevant. This seems like a contradiction, since, I believe, SM predicts these 2 conservations.

So upon some google searching, yes it is a gauge theory. So I guess my question really is what is the "appropriate spontaneous symmetry breaking" to violate this conservation? In undergrad terms would be great!

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I don't understand this on the princeton link:
"3)If appropriate spontaneous-symmetry breaking is postulated, there is the (logically independant) possibility of baryonic quarks transforming into leptons, with a violation of baryon and lepton number conservation".

In ttyplical 4th colour models, two things happen when going down from SU(4) to SU(3): the diagonal traceless matrix (-1, +1/3, +1/3, + 1/3) is assigned to represent a quantum number that is the difference between Barion and Lepton number of a particle. We call it B-L. And we are still left with 14 "4th-gluons" that we need to reduce to 8... the other 6 are the ones changing from quark to lepton and back, so violating the previous quantum number.

That kind of reminds me of a commutator, at least in the way that you explained it. Does that stem from the same principles, by any chance?

Well, it is a U(1) generator that is expected to conmute with the broken group. Usually they break SU(4) down to SU(3) x U(1) but the U(1) is not electromagnetism (can not be, as EM comes from the electroweak force) but is is still a U(1), and works as a "B-L" label to separate quarks from leptons. I believe to remember that there was different positions about if it should be considered a gauge group generator or simply a global symmetry, and there was some attempts to mix it with the U(1) from the electroweak part.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.09158
Is this a legitimite thing? I've never heard of 4th color charge or quark-lepton unification.

It is an idea that has been around for a long time and is much less ambitious than supersymmetry or string theory, for example. There isn't any positive empirical evidence for it, but it is a way to play with numbers that seems to provide some unification. One of the motivations for it is to explain baryongenesis and the matter-antimatter asymmetry of the universe. But, there isn't really any consensus on when this BSM physics would start to manifest itself.

I just find it really attractive because everythin ultimitely ends up getting broken down into 2 types of parties in the preon theories theyre talking about. I find the fact that quarks are fundamental hard to believe.

What do you mean it usually gets broken down versus built up? If I understood what I read out of the article and links provided, they're building SU (4)

Ok, after a shower and some coffee, I think I see what you both are saying. So with regards to the assymetry,
ohwilleke said:
One of the motivations for it is to explain baryongenesis and the matter-antimatter asymmetry of the universe. But, there isn't really any consensus on when this BSM physics would start to manifest itself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rishon_model
This seems to not so much explain it, but discount it, as electrons are made up of anti-Thirds.

With respect to the U(3)xU(1), are you referencing this:
##
\left ( \begin{array}{c}
F_1 \\
F_2 \\
F_3 \\
F_4 \\
\end{array} \right )## ## \otimes \left ( \begin{array}{cccc}
B_1 & B_2 & B_3 & B_4 \\
\end{array} \right )##
Alright, I'm sorry, I know this is just a box of code, but I can't seem to find what's wrong with it. Hopefully this makes sense...
:cry::oldcry::headbang:

HOLY CRAP... that one \...

Also, slightly off topic, but not necessarily:
Is the difference between U(n) and SU(n) just the determinant? Or is there more to it?

Last edited:

Related to On a scale of 1 to String, how speculative is this?

1. What does the scale of 1 to String represent in this context?

The scale of 1 to String represents the level of speculation or uncertainty in a statement or idea. A score of 1 would indicate a highly certain and factual statement, while a score of String would indicate a completely speculative and uncertain statement.

2. How do you determine the score on this scale?

The score on this scale is determined by the level of evidence and supporting data for the statement or idea. The more empirical evidence and logical reasoning, the lower the score will be on the scale.

3. Is this scale commonly used in scientific research?

No, this scale is not commonly used in scientific research. It is more often used in casual conversations or discussions where there is a need to indicate the level of speculation in an idea or statement.

4. Can the score on this scale change over time?

Yes, the score on this scale can change over time. As new evidence and information becomes available, the level of speculation in a statement or idea may decrease or increase, resulting in a change in score on the scale.

5. How can this scale be helpful in scientific discussions?

This scale can be helpful in scientific discussions by indicating the level of confidence or uncertainty in a statement or idea. It can also prompt further investigation and research into a topic that may be highly speculative.