On entering the Aerospace Industry (current student):

In summary, the best path to become an astronautical engineer would be to either major in aerospace engineering or minor in aerospace engineering followed by a master's degree in astronautical engineering. Both paths would require taking relevant electives in materials, fluid dynamics, and other related subjects.
Senator
Hello everyone,

I have decided to become an Engineer specifically to work on Space Technologies. I am just about to enter my Junior year of University. I was wondering what the best path would be to become an Astronautical Engineer, as I very much want to help engineer space-craft, rovers, etc.

Path 1:
-BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN AEROSPACE ENGINEERING

Path 2:
-BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
-MASTER OF SCIENCE IN ASTRONAUTICAL ENGINEERING

Or if there is a better path, please enlighten me! :)

I know that if I do a MechE major, I should take electives relating to materials, fluid dynamics, etc.

Thanks!

edit: I was also considering Path 2 with a minor in aerospace engineering, followed by the masters degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would that be an acceptable route?Yes, a minor in aerospace engineering followed by a master's degree in astronautical engineering would be an acceptable route. With this path, you'd still need to take electives in materials, fluid dynamics, and other relevant subjects, but it would give you a solid foundation of knowledge in both aerospace and astronautical engineering.

1. What skills are necessary to enter the aerospace industry?

Some of the key skills needed to enter the aerospace industry include a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, technical knowledge and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software.

2. What are the career opportunities available in the aerospace industry?

The aerospace industry offers a wide range of career opportunities including roles in engineering, design, research and development, manufacturing, project management, and quality control. There are also opportunities for positions in finance, marketing, and operations.

3. How important is a degree in aerospace engineering for entering the industry?

While a degree in aerospace engineering is beneficial, it is not a requirement for entering the industry. Many companies also hire individuals with degrees in related fields such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or physics. However, having a degree in aerospace engineering can provide a solid foundation and specialized knowledge for a career in the industry.

4. What is the work environment like in the aerospace industry?

The work environment in the aerospace industry can vary depending on the specific role and company. However, it is typically a fast-paced and dynamic environment that requires attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure. Safety and precision are also of utmost importance in the industry.

5. What are some challenges faced by those entering the aerospace industry?

Some challenges that individuals may face when entering the aerospace industry include competition for jobs, the need for continuous learning and adaptation to new technologies, and the high level of responsibility and accountability for the safety and success of projects. Additionally, the industry can be heavily regulated and may require security clearances for certain roles.