On nonnegative-order first-kind Bessel functions with large argument

In summary, the conversation discusses Bessel functions, specifically those of the first kind, and how they can be represented by a series involving the gamma function. It also mentions a book that states a simplified form for large values of x, where the cosine function appears. The question of where the cosine comes from and how to prove it is raised, with the suggestion to use the series representation. Additionally, the conversation notes that the simplified form may only be true for natural or zero order Bessel functions, and that the gamma function becomes (n+\ell)! for such values of n.
IridescentRain
Hello.

I'm not terribly proficient with Bessel functions, but I know that those of the first kind are given by
[tex]
\begin{eqnarray}
J_n(x) & = & \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^n\,\sum_{\ell=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^\ell}{\ell!\,\Gamma(n+\ell+1)}\,\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^{2\ell},
\end{eqnarray}
[/tex]where [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is the gamma function.

I found in a book that for large [itex]x[/itex] the following is true:
[tex]
\begin{eqnarray}
J_n(x) & = & \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}}\,\cos\left(x-\frac{n\pi}{2}-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)\,\left[1+\mathcal{O}(x^{-1})\right]\\
& \approx & \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi x}}\,\cos\left[x-(2n+1)\,\frac{\pi}{4}\right].
\end{eqnarray}
[/tex]The second line of that last equation is obvious (they just removed every term except the first one from the first line because [itex]1/x^\ell[/itex] is negligible for large [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\ell\ge1[/itex]), but where does the cosine come from? How would I begin to prove this?

I'm working with [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}\cup\{0\}[/itex] only, so perhaps this expression is only true for Bessel functions of natural (or zero) order; I wouldn't know. All I know is that for such values of [itex]n[/itex] the gamma function becomes [itex]\Gamma(n+\ell+1)=(n+\ell)![/itex].

Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\cos(x) = \sum^{\infty}_{k=0} (-1)^{k} \frac{x^{2k}}{(2k)!}[/tex]

Try using that.

Thanks, Millennial. I will.

1. What are nonnegative-order first-kind Bessel functions?

Nonnegative-order first-kind Bessel functions, denoted as Jν(x), are a class of special functions in mathematics that are solutions to Bessel's differential equation. They are named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel and are widely used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing.

2. What is the significance of large argument in Bessel functions?

Bessel functions with large arguments are important in applications where the input values are much larger than the order of the function. In this case, the behavior of the function can be approximated by simpler functions, making it easier to analyze and apply in practical problems.

3. How are nonnegative-order first-kind Bessel functions calculated?

The values of nonnegative-order first-kind Bessel functions can be calculated using various methods, including series expansions, recursion relations, and asymptotic approximations. These methods differ in their accuracy and efficiency, depending on the specific range of the arguments and the desired precision of the results.

4. What are the properties of nonnegative-order first-kind Bessel functions?

Nonnegative-order first-kind Bessel functions have many important properties that make them useful in mathematical and scientific applications. Some of these properties include orthogonality, recurrence relations, and integral representations. They also exhibit oscillatory behavior and have zeros at certain points, which can be used for solving boundary value problems.

5. In what fields are nonnegative-order first-kind Bessel functions commonly used?

Nonnegative-order first-kind Bessel functions have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used in solving problems involving wave phenomena, such as heat transfer, sound propagation, and electromagnetic waves. They also have applications in image processing, control theory, and statistics, among others.