1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Once a circular path has been obtain for the electrons, how will increasing current to the coils aff

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Once a circular path has been obtain for the electrons, how will increasing current to the coils affect that path? Use equation 1 and the fact that e/m is a constant for the electron.
    2. Relevant equations
    e/m = 2V/B^2r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm unclear as to how to find a solution because I think that the circular path of electrons will grow brighter, or grow dimmer when more current, or less current is applied, once the electrons are in a circular path.

However, how can I use the given equation to prove this?

Note, I have not conducted any type of measurements or observations of any kind, as this is a pre-lab questionnaire that I am fulfilling to get credit.

UPDATE: I firmly believe that increasing the current to the coils will make the circle larger, once the circular path has been established prior to increasing said current.

However, how can I use the given equation to show this?

As an aside, increasing the magnetic field will make the circle smaller.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Maybe I'm misguessing the set up, but I would have thought the coils in question were generating the magnetic field, so the last line of your post seems the relevant one.

4. Oct 20, 2014 #3
    The set-up is going to be the traditional set-up used for the e/m experiment that is used at most universities.
    The coils will generate a magnetic field, but what will increasing the current do to the circle once it is established?

I think the increased current will expand the circle and make it bigger, but I am unsure how to show this with my equation.

5. Oct 20, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the function of the coils is to generate a magnetic field, then increasing the current will increase the field, yes? And as you wrote, increasing the field will shrink the circle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted