One dimensional potential well

In summary, a particle of mass m is confined in a one dimensional well by a potential V. The energy eigenvalues and corresponding normalized eigenstates are given. At time t=0, the particle is in the ground state and the probability of it being between x=0 and x=L/6 is \frac{1}{6}-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4\pi}. This probability does not depend on time because of the form of time dependence of the ground state. Further reading on the time-dependent Schrodinger equation and separation of variables can help understand this concept better. A good introductory textbook on QM is Quantum Mechanics:Concepts and Applications by Nouredin Zettili.
jimmycricket

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is confined in a one dimensional well by a potential V. The energy eigenvalues are
[tex]E_{n}=\frac{\hbar^2n^2\pi^2}{2mL^2}[/tex]
and the corresponding normalized eigenstates are
[tex]\Phi_{n}=\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})[/tex]
At time t=0 the particle is in the ground state. Find the probability that the particle is between x=0 and x=L/6.
Explain why this probbility does not depend on time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the probability to be [tex]\frac{1}{6}-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4\pi}[/tex]
My question is why the probability does not depend on time. Is it because the particle is in the ground state?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer lies in the form of time dependence of the ground state(Or any other energy eigenstate).
I can explain it to you but I don't feel good about just handing the answer to you. I would do it if it was hard to answer the question but here things are simple and you should just think about the form of time dependence and the process of calculating probabilities.

I appreciate it may be a simple concept to you but I don't know where to look for this information. I don't want an answer handed on a plate but maybe some hints for further reading that could lead me to it myself

You mean you don't know about time-dependent Schrodinger equation and the process of separation of variables to get time-independent Schrodinger equation? Its a bad idea to ignore these in a QM course!
Anyway, you should just study the things I mentioned from your textbook. Then it will be clear(and relatively easy) to you too.

P.S.
If you had an introduction to those things, you didn't learn them well, so you should again go and study them.

Likes jimmycricket
thanks. I'll go and read up a bit

would you suggest any particularly good texts to read?

All introductory textbooks on QM cover that. But I think Quantum Mechanics:Concepts and Applications by Nouredin Zettili is a good choice.

What is a one dimensional potential well?

A one dimensional potential well is a theoretical concept in physics and chemistry that describes a system where a particle is confined within a narrow region by the boundaries of a potential energy. It is often visualized as a "well" or a "box" with high potential energy on the outside and low potential energy on the inside.

How does a one dimensional potential well work?

In a one dimensional potential well, the particle is free to move back and forth within the well. The particle's energy is determined by its position within the well and the potential energy of the well itself. The particle can only exist in certain allowed energy states, which are quantized due to the confined nature of the well.

What are the applications of a one dimensional potential well?

One dimensional potential wells are used in various fields of physics and chemistry, such as in the study of quantum mechanics and solid-state physics. They are also used to model the behavior of particles in a variety of systems, such as atoms, molecules, and semiconductors.

How is the energy of a particle calculated in a one dimensional potential well?

The energy of a particle in a one dimensional potential well is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the potential energy of the well and the wave function of the particle. The energy states are quantized and can be determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the given system.

What are the limitations of a one dimensional potential well model?

The one dimensional potential well model is a simplified representation of real-world systems and thus has its limitations. It assumes a perfectly confined particle and does not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions with other particles. In addition, it does not accurately describe the behavior of particles in three-dimensional systems.