One Final Special Relativity collision problem (no new particles created)

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a collision between an ultrarelativistic electron and a low energy photon in the jet of a quasar. The equation for the energy of the photon after the collision is given by E = (E1 + p1*c) * E2 / (E1 - p1*c) + 2*E2, where E1 and p1 are the energy and momentum of the incident electron, and E2 is the initial energy of the photon. The conversation also involves using equations for energy and momentum conservation to solve for the final energy of the photon. There is also a discussion about the momentum of the electron after the collision, which is still unresolved.
cpfoxhunt

Homework Statement

This is the last problem I'll trouble you guys with, I'm just completely stuck on it. Here it is.

In the jet of a quasar, an ultr&relativistic electron collides head-on with a very
low energy photon of the cosmic microwave background. No new particles are created.
Show that the energy of the photon after the collision is given by
E= (El + P1*C)E2
(El - Pl*C) + 2E2
where E1 and p1 are respectively the energy and the magnitude of the momentum of
the incident electron, and E2 is the energy of the initial photon.

Homework Equations

Call mass of the electron m

Obviously that e^2-p^2c^2 = 0 for a photon

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've worked out that (E1 + E2)^2 - (p1 + E2/C)^2 = (from the cm frame invarient of the square of the resultant rest masses) (mC^2)^2 = E1^2 - (p1C)^2.

Very nice, but whenever I try to introduce a final value of E for the finishing energy of the photon, I get stuck, and cannot elimiate enough variables.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Cpfoxhunt

Physics news on Phys.org
For the photon, E=p. (Please let c=1).
Write the equation for energy conservation and for momentum conservation.
The initial photon momentum (z component) is -E2 and its final momentum is +E.
Add and subtract these two eqs to get eqs for (E1-p1) and (E1+p1).
Multiply these two equations, using E^2-p^2=m^2 for the electron.
This gives a simple equation to solve for E..

How did you get to the iinitial photon momentum being -e2? whereas the final momentum is positive?
And I still have a p3 i.e. the momentum of the electron after the collision floating around. Any ideas?

1. What is the concept behind a "Special Relativity collision problem"?

The concept behind a Special Relativity collision problem is based on the theory of special relativity, which explains the relationship between space and time. In these types of problems, two objects with different velocities collide and the goal is to calculate the final velocities and directions of each object after the collision, while taking into account the principles of special relativity.

2. What is the significance of "no new particles being created" in this type of problem?

In a Special Relativity collision problem, the focus is on the interaction between two existing particles. The assumption of "no new particles being created" means that there is no change in the number of particles involved in the collision. This simplifies the problem and allows for more accurate calculations.

3. How is momentum conserved in a Special Relativity collision problem?

In special relativity, momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In a collision, the total momentum before and after the collision must be equal. This is known as the principle of conservation of momentum. In these types of problems, the equations for conservation of momentum must be adjusted to account for the effects of special relativity.

4. What are some common assumptions made in solving a Special Relativity collision problem?

Some common assumptions made in solving a Special Relativity collision problem include the objects being point particles with no size or shape, the collision being elastic (meaning no energy is lost), and the objects having negligible gravitational effects on each other.

5. How is the concept of time dilation applied in Special Relativity collision problems?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by the theory of special relativity, which states that time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high velocities. In a collision problem, this means that the time interval between the initial and final states of the objects may appear different to an observer depending on their relative velocities. This must be taken into consideration when calculating the final velocities of the objects.