Exploring Relativity Theory - What is a "One Form"?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of "one forms" in the context of studying Relativity Theory. One forms refer to a mathematical concept of a linear function that takes a vector and returns a scalar, and are related to the local linear behavior of functions on a manifold. The conversation also mentioned recommended books for further understanding of this concept.
Jomapil
Hello, everyone

I began do learn Relativity Theory. I don't understand the term " One Forms " that appear in some books. Can anyone tell me what did it mean? The translation to Portuguese doesn't any sense and the explanation of the books is not very explicative for me.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
''One forms'' are a mathematical lingo for a linear function that takes a vector and returns a scalar; it's therefore a type of tensor.

1-forms are the geometric objects corresponding to the local linear behavior of functions on a manifold.

If a patch of a manifold M is described by the coordinate functions xi : M → R, then for any function f on that patch, its local linear behavior can be given a coordinate representation in terms of the coordinate 1-forms dxi thus: df = ∑(∂f/∂xi)dxi, where the numnbers ∂f/∂xi are called the components of df.

For more details I recommend these books: "Applied Differential Geometry" and "Spacetime, Geometry and Cosmology" by William Burke.

A one-form is exactly the same as what other people call "a covariant vector". :) But to understand this you need some basis in tensor analysis.

Good evening.

haushofer - I studied tensor calculus 35 years ago and I'm reading and exercising at the same time I'm learning Relativity Theory, so I understand your explanation - EVERY covariant tensor is an One-Form.

ManyNames - I think I understood your explanation - for example the operator divergence [ div(vctor) --> escalar] is an One-Forms.

dx - I'm going soon to read about manifolds - anyway I also understood your help.

Thank you everyone and a good new week.

1. What is a "One Form" in relativity theory?

A "One Form" in relativity theory is a mathematical concept used to describe the properties of spacetime. It is a type of tensor that represents the flow of energy and momentum through spacetime, and is closely related to the concept of a vector. One Forms are an important tool for understanding the effects of gravity and the curvature of spacetime.

2. How is a One Form different from a vector in relativity theory?

In relativity theory, a One Form is different from a vector because it is a covariant quantity, meaning it transforms in a different way under a change in coordinate systems. Vectors, on the other hand, are contravariant quantities and transform differently. While vectors can be represented by arrows in space, One Forms cannot and are better understood through mathematical equations and diagrams.

3. Can you give an example of how One Forms are used in relativity theory?

One example of how One Forms are used in relativity theory is in the calculation of the stress-energy tensor, which describes the distribution of energy and momentum in a given region of spacetime. The stress-energy tensor is made up of 10 One Forms, each of which represents a different component of energy and momentum. By understanding how these One Forms interact and change in different situations, we can gain a better understanding of the behavior of matter and energy in spacetime.

4. Are One Forms only relevant to the study of relativity theory?

No, One Forms are a mathematical concept that can be applied to other areas of physics as well. They are particularly useful in understanding the behavior of fields, such as electromagnetic fields or quantum fields. However, they are most commonly used in the study of relativity theory, where they play a crucial role in describing the curvature of spacetime and the effects of gravity.

5. Is it possible to visualize One Forms in spacetime?

While One Forms cannot be visualized in the same way as vectors, they can be represented through diagrams and mathematical equations. For example, the stress-energy tensor can be represented as a matrix of One Forms, with each element representing a different component of energy and momentum. These diagrams and equations can help us understand the behavior of One Forms in spacetime, even if we cannot directly visualize them.