Understanding the Dissolution of Zinc in a Galvanic Half-Cell

• Thread starter Slava
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the half-cell reaction between Zn and Zn2+ results in the metal dissolving into the solution and the electrons flying away from the zinc.
Slava
In a standard galvanic half-cell when Zinc rode is placed into the Zinc sulphate. What is the reaction which makes zinc to dissolve and fell into the solution. Why do electrons move away from the sides of the electrode? Are they repelled by the solution or by other ZN atoms on the electrode which haven't been ionized yet?

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the link which you posted it is said that: In this cell the zinc metal has a tendency to dissolve as ions leaving its electrons on the electrode.

I can't get the order: whether it is Reaction with the solution which causes electrons to fly away from Zn metal, or it is the attraction from the positive electrode which attracts loosely bound Zn electrons and as soon as Zinc start lacking electrons it will become Zn2+ and mix with the solution. If it is the latter case then when the electrodes are not connected will there be an excess of electrons on the negative terminal of the battery

This is what is unclear for me. I understand how the redox reaction works but I can't understand how the half-redox reaction works.

Thank you for your response.

The electrodes themselves must be electrically neutral and thus there will be no voltage? Am I right?

The electrodes don't have to be electrically neutral, and generally won't be - the webpage gives example reaction relations.
So how do you understand redox reactions working?

In redox reaction one atom loses electrons and another atom gains electrons.
Is it possible for a redox reaction to occur just by simply placing atoms of zinc and copper together or we need to have an oxidizing/reducing agents for this to happen?

My question is. Will the following reaction happen if there was no solution.
Zn(s) + Cu2+(aq)
doublearrow.gif
Zn2+(aq) + Cu(s)
I suspect there should be some energy given off which will make electrons pop from the Zn nucleus. Is the attraction between the positively charged Copper ion and Zn atom is enough to make them move??

From Wikipedia:
metallic zinc at the surface of the zinc electrode is dissolving into the solution
Can you explain what makes them dissolve into the solution? The solution is just a mix of Zn2+ and SO42-. Do Zn atoms react with Zn2+ or S042- ?

1. What is the purpose of "One more battery question"?

The purpose of "One more battery question" is to gather information and knowledge about batteries, their usage, and their impact on our daily lives.

2. Why is using one more battery a concern?

Using one more battery means using more resources, which can have negative effects on the environment. It also means spending more money on buying and replacing batteries.

3. Can one more battery make a significant impact on the environment?

Yes, one more battery can make a significant impact on the environment as it adds to the overall consumption of resources and contributes to pollution and waste.

4. How can we reduce our reliance on using one more battery?

We can reduce our reliance on using one more battery by using rechargeable batteries, opting for energy-efficient devices, and properly disposing of old batteries to prevent pollution.

5. Are there any alternatives to using one more battery?

Yes, there are alternatives to using one more battery such as using solar-powered devices, using devices with built-in rechargeable batteries, and using devices that have a longer battery life.