One-sided force applied to spring

In summary, the spring length in a frictionless environment depends on the force and constant of the spring. When the mass of the weight is small, it accelerates faster and requires a faster point of force to maintain a constant length and force.
snoopies622
In a place with no friction, I have a rocket that applies a constant force f to a weight of mass m, and between them is a spring with constant k. I assume that the mass of the spring is negligible.

As the three objects accelerate, by how much does the spring contract? My intuition tells me that the greater the mass of the weight, the more the spring contracts, but I don't see how this works out algebraically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi snoopies622,

Your intuition is wrong. The change in the spring length depends on the force F and the constant K as simply as:

Δx=F/K

when m in your problem is small, it accelerates faster , trying to make the length shorter, so you need to move the point of force faster to keep the length ( and force) constant.

FAQ: One-sided force applied to spring

What is a one-sided force applied to a spring?

A one-sided force applied to a spring is a force that is only applied on one side of the spring, causing the spring to compress or stretch in the direction of the force.

How does a one-sided force affect a spring?

A one-sided force applied to a spring will either compress or stretch the spring, depending on the direction of the force. This will cause the spring to store potential energy.

What is the equation for calculating the force applied to a spring?

The equation for calculating the force applied to a spring is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to a one-sided force applied to a spring?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that a one-sided force applied to a spring will cause the spring to stretch or compress in a predictable manner.

What are some real-life examples of a one-sided force applied to a spring?

Some real-life examples of a one-sided force applied to a spring include a person sitting on a trampoline, a door closer, and a car's suspension system. In each of these examples, the spring is being compressed or stretched by a force applied on only one side.