One stone dropped one is thrown from a building, they reach the ground at the same ti

In summary: Alright thanks for the help. I've been dealing with mastering physics and the program in general is very hard to work with especially if you're no sure how to go about solving the problem. Does anybody have any tips for this system?For all kinematics problems, you can write out your variables (displacement, velocity initial and final, time, and acceleration) for each system (so here for each of the two rocks) and then fill in what you can. So in this problem, you can call Vi for Rock1 0, and V[sub]i[sub] for Rock2 24, acceleration for each 9.8, call out that each of their displacements is the same d, and say
Pioneer98
A stone is dropped from the roof of a building; 1.50 s after that, a second stone is thrown straight down with an initial speed of 24.0 m/s , and the two stones land at the same time.

How long did it take the first stone to reach the ground?

V=Vo+aT

I plugged 1.5 s for time, 9.8 m/s^2 for acceleration, Vo=0 initial speed. Got 14.7 m/s for velocity and plugged it back in the equation for velocity to find the time for the drop.
I got 4.9 sec.

Physics news on Phys.org

The fact that the two stones hit the ground at the same time is important, so you have to use the data from each stone. You never used 24m/s in your work.

Am I on the right track with the formula?

Pioneer98 said:
A stone is dropped from the roof of a building; 1.50 s after that, a second stone is thrown straight down with an initial speed of 24.0 m/s , and the two stones land at the same time.

How long did it take the first stone to reach the ground?

V=Vo+aT

I plugged 1.5 s for time, 9.8 m/s^2 for acceleration, Vo=0 initial speed. Got 14.7 m/s for velocity and plugged it back in the equation for velocity to find the time for the drop.
I got 4.9 sec.

If you plugged it back in the equation T=1.5 s
How you get 4.9 sec?

I plugged it back in using the velocity I came up with trying to find the time the first stone hit the ground in, but I was told I needed to incorprate the other stone's initial speed into the problem.

We have 2 stones means we have 2 equations each for a stone.
1st stone and 2nd. stone travel the same distance.
1st. stone starts at 0m/s and 2nd. stone with 24 m/s
Flight time is different by 1.5 sec.

Right, so what equations do I need to be looking at?

Last edited:

The equation for stone number one is just
d = 1/2at1^2

Stone 2:
d = 1/2at2^2 + v0 * t2

Remember that t2 is t1 - 1.50 and that the displacements of the two stones are equal.

Alright thanks for the help. I've been dealing with mastering physics and the program in general is very hard to work with especially if you're no sure how to go about solving the problem. Does anybody have any tips for this system?

For all kinematics problems, you can write out your variables (displacement, velocity initial and final, time, and acceleration) for each system (so here for each of the two rocks) and then fill in what you can. So in this problem, you can call Vi for Rock1 0, and Vi for Rock2 24, acceleration for each 9.8, call out that each of their displacements is the same d, and say that t1 = t2 + 1.5.
Then write out the kinematic equations (I think that there are 4 that we used in my class) and see which ones relate the variables that you need to find out.

Pioneer98 said:
Alright thanks for the help. I've been dealing with mastering physics and the program in general is very hard to work with especially if you're no sure how to go about solving the problem. Does anybody have any tips for this system?

Take the two equations I've quoted, and set them equal to each other. The stones have the same displacement:

1/2at1^2 = 1/2at2^2 + vi * t2

Now sub in a = 9.8 m/s2, t2 = t1 - 1.50 s, vi = 24.0 m/s, and leave t1 as the unknown. The squared terms can be subtracted out and you are left with a fairly simple linear equation. Let me know if you need any more help.

Millacol88 said:
The equation for stone number one is just
d = 1/2at1^2

Stone 2:
d = 1/2at2^2 + v0 * t2

Remember that t2 is t1 - 1.50 and that the displacements of the two stones are equal.

1. How is it possible for a stone dropped and a stone thrown to reach the ground at the same time?

The reason for this is because both objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that regardless of the initial velocity of the object, they will both fall towards the ground at the same rate.

2. What factors can affect the time it takes for the stone to reach the ground?

The main factor that affects the time it takes for an object to fall to the ground is air resistance. The more aerodynamic an object is, the less air resistance it experiences and the faster it will fall. Other factors that can affect the time include the initial velocity and mass of the object.

3. Is the distance between the building and the ground a factor in this scenario?

No, the distance between the building and the ground does not affect the time it takes for the stone to reach the ground. As long as the objects are dropped or thrown from the same height, they will both experience the same acceleration and reach the ground at the same time.

4. Can objects with different masses reach the ground at the same time?

Yes, objects with different masses can still reach the ground at the same time as long as they are dropped or thrown from the same height. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is independent of an object's mass.

5. What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment demonstrates the concept of free fall and the effects of gravity on objects. It also helps to disprove the common misconception that heavier objects fall faster than lighter objects. This experiment is also important in understanding the principles of motion and acceleration in physics.