Can a Mechanical System Prevent Water Migration in a Portable Air Compressor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a portable air compressor system and the need for a membrane or valve to prevent liquid water from migrating back into the tank during transportation. The idea of using Gore-Tex is dismissed due to its inability to regulate liquid water flow. The suggestion of a mechanical system, such as a container with a middle inlet, is proposed. Upon further discussion, it is determined that the container itself can serve as a trap, eliminating the need for a valve.
steve williams
Hello to all. I'm building a prototype of a portable air compressor system. I would like to place a membrane just after the tank drain that would allow the liquid water (condensate) to pass through into a canister. This membrane would allow the water to pass through by gravity. When the portable system is laid on its back or side (for transport) the water would stay in the canister and not migrate back into the tank. A "flapper" style valve would not work well because it would remain open in many of the orientations in which the system will find itself. Gore-Tex is only good for water vapor, not liquid water.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no magic materials that allow transport in one direction only (Gore-Tex let's water vapour pass in both directions and water in no direction), so I would look for mechanical systems. Does something like the attached sketch work? The inlet ends in the middle of the container, unless it gets filled too much no water will flow back in any orientation.

Attachments

• pseudovalve.png
    pseudovalve.png
    383 bytes · Views: 766
mfb said:
There are no magic materials that allow transport in one direction only (Gore-Tex let's water vapour pass in both directions and water in no direction), so I would look for mechanical systems. Does something like the attached sketch work? The inlet ends in the middle of the container, unless it gets filled too much no water will flow back in any orientation.
Thanks very much... You are correct about the container itself being the "trap". In fact, when I looked at the configuration of the container which I have designed, it, in essence already works much the same way. I don't think I need a "valve" at all. Thanks again!

1. What is a one way water membrane?

A one way water membrane is a material that allows water to pass through in only one direction. It is typically used in water filtration systems to remove impurities and purify the water.

2. How does a one way water membrane work?

A one way water membrane works by having microscopic pores that are small enough to block impurities and contaminants from passing through, but large enough to allow water molecules to pass. This creates a one-way flow of water, with clean water passing through the membrane and impurities being left behind.

3. What are the benefits of using a one way water membrane?

One way water membranes have several benefits, including removing impurities and contaminants from water, improving water quality, and being a more environmentally friendly option compared to other filtration methods such as chemical treatments.

4. Are there any limitations to using a one way water membrane?

One way water membranes may have some limitations, such as being less effective at removing certain types of contaminants compared to other filtration methods. They may also require regular maintenance and replacement to ensure optimal performance.

5. How is a one way water membrane different from a two way water membrane?

A one way water membrane only allows water to pass through in one direction, while a two way water membrane allows water to pass through in both directions. This means that a two way membrane can also be used for processes such as osmosis, while a one way membrane is typically used for water filtration.