Only homomorphism from rationals to integers

• Thread starter vikas92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the author provides a proof that f(r/s)=0 for any r,s in Q. However, the proof is bogus and there is a counter example.
vikas92
Kindly see the attached image.i can't understand the step where he write f(x)=f(1+1+...+1)=xf(1).But the homomorphism is from <Q,.> to <Z,+>

Attachments

• 06062012(003).jpg
    06062012(003).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 987
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but this is unreadable
Cheers...

Sorry for bad image quality.
Show that only homomorphism from the group <Q*,.> to <Z,+> is the zero homomorphism where Q*=Q-{0}
Solution
Let 0≠f be a homomorphism from <Q*,.> to <Z,+>
Let f(1)=n[itex]\in[/itex]Z. Suppose f(1)=0
Then f(x)=f(1+1+...+1) if x>0,x[itex]\in[/itex]Z
=x f(1)=0
This is the step I couldn't understand as the homomorphism is from <Q*,.> to <Z,+> not from <Q*,+> to <Z,+> .
Also,0=f(x)=f(-1χ(-x))=f(-1)+f(-x)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]f(-1)=-1f(-x)
Thus f(-x)=f(-1χx)=f(-1)+f(x)=f(-1)+0=-f(-x) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(-x)=0

Further he proved that f(r/s)=0

Hi,
Indeed something is very fishy about this proof.
Furthermore I think he is trying to prove something which is wrong.
Unless I miss something,
define for any x of Q being a multiple of a power of 2 f(x)= said power
for instance, f(-1/2)=f(15/2)=-1
f(4)=f(-4/17)=2
f(0)=1
and fx)=0 otherwise, than it looks to me that this is a counter example, but I could miss something...

Cheers...

Thanks for your reply.Perhaps it is serving as counterexample to what the question was given.In some other book the same question was there with <Q,+> instead of <Q,.>
.Maybe the solution provided by the author is wrong

Well i,n fact Q+ sounds like a much better candidate to do the job, so my counter example would be even simpler, but I probably miss something.
Anyway, the proof you linked to is completely bogus as far as I can tell, and, just think about exp(x) ln(x); if we were to talk about R+ -> R (or the other way around, pick one) you would have a perfect example of the same idea, so I think the proof should be a lot more involved than that and.

Cheers..

Related to Only homomorphism from rationals to integers

What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a mathematical object. In other words, it is a function that takes elements from one mathematical object and maps them to elements in another object while preserving their relationships.

Why is the homomorphism from rationals to integers important?

The homomorphism from rationals to integers is important because it helps us understand the relationship between these two sets of numbers. It allows us to see how the rational numbers, which include fractions and decimals, can be represented as integers.

What does the homomorphism from rationals to integers look like?

The homomorphism from rationals to integers is a function that takes a rational number in the form of a/b and maps it to the integer a. In other words, it simply drops the denominator and keeps the numerator as the output.

What are some examples of the homomorphism from rationals to integers?

Some examples of the homomorphism from rationals to integers include mapping 2/3 to the integer 2, 5/4 to the integer 5, and 3/2 to the integer 3. This mapping can be applied to any rational number, as long as the denominator is not equal to 0.

How is the homomorphism from rationals to integers different from other mathematical functions?

The homomorphism from rationals to integers is different from other mathematical functions because it preserves the structure of the objects it is mapping. This means that the relationships between elements in the original set are maintained in the mapped set, making it a very useful tool for analyzing and understanding mathematical objects.