1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Only homomorphism from rationals to integers

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    Kindly see the attached image.i cant understand the step where he write f(x)=f(1+1+.....+1)=xf(1).But the homomorphism is from <Q,.> to <Z,+>

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2
    Sorry, but this is unreadable
    Cheers...

4. Jun 6, 2012 #3
    Sorry for bad image quality.
    Show that only homomorphism from the group <Q*,.> to <Z,+> is the zero homomorphism where Q*=Q-{0}
    Solution
    Let 0≠f be a homomorphism from <Q*,.> to <Z,+>
    Let f(1)=n[itex]\in[/itex]Z. Suppose f(1)=0
    Then f(x)=f(1+1+...............+1) if x>0,x[itex]\in[/itex]Z
    =x f(1)=0
    This is the step I couldnt understand as the homomorphism is from <Q*,.> to <Z,+> not from <Q*,+> to <Z,+> .
    Also,0=f(x)=f(-1χ(-x))=f(-1)+f(-x)
    [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]f(-1)=-1f(-x)
    Thus f(-x)=f(-1χx)=f(-1)+f(x)=f(-1)+0=-f(-x) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(-x)=0

Further he proved that f(r/s)=0

5. Jun 7, 2012 #4
    Hi,
    Indeed something is very fishy about this proof.
    Furthermore I think he is trying to prove something which is wrong.
    Unless I miss something,
    define for any x of Q being a multiple of a power of 2 f(x)= said power
    for instance, f(-1/2)=f(15/2)=-1
    f(4)=f(-4/17)=2
    f(0)=1
    and fx)=0 otherwise, than it looks to me that this is a counter example, but I could miss something...

Cheers...

6. Jun 8, 2012 #5
    Thanks for your reply.Perhaps it is serving as counterexample to what the question was given.In some other book the same question was there with <Q,+> instead of <Q,.>
    .Maybe the solution provided by the author is wrong

7. Jun 8, 2012 #6
    Well i,n fact Q+ sounds like a much better candidate to do the job, so my counter example would be even simpler, but I probably miss something.
    Anyway, the proof you linked to is completely bogus as far as I can tell, and, just think about exp(x) ln(x); if we were to talk about R+ -> R (or the other way around, pick one) you would have a perfect example of the same idea, so I think the proof should be a lot more involved than that and.

Cheers..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook