Open Circuit Voltage and Short Circuit Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a circuit with a current source in the middle. The person is struggling to find the short circuit current and is unsure of how to apply the loop method. They also mention using KCL and the concepts of 'supermesh' and 'supernode' to solve the circuit. Another person suggests using a symbolic variable to solve the circuit and find the voltage drop across a resistor.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 2.08.23 PM.png

Homework Equations

V=IR
Current Loop method, KCL, Node Voltage

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling with this problem because I haven't seen a circuit like this before. I think I found the Voc correctly (4V) but I am stuck with finding the short circuit current. I tried using the current loop rule with 2 loops but it's confusing and doesn't seem to work.
Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 2.33.20 PM.png

I also tried this way (above) with one big loop and one small but then I get stuck because I don't know how to find the voltage across the 2i source in my problem. I don't have a resistance so I can't really make an equation for the small loop. I ended up using KCL and the big loop which gave me something, but I don't know if what I did is valid or correct. The current source in the middle is really throwing me off and I am not too sure how to deal with it.

New Doc 21.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Marcin H said:
but I don't know if what I did is valid or correct
It all looks correct to me.

cnh1995 said:
All looks correct to me.
How do you do the loop method in this problem like in the colored picture? That pic was from khan Academy and they said that is a special case and that's the way to do it. How can that method be applied to my circuit? We don't know the voltage across the current source and I can't think of a way to find it.

Marcin H said:
How do you do the loop method in this problem like in the colored picture
The loop method doesn't work in such cases. Since both the loops have a common current source and you directly don't know the voltage across it, you have to take help of KCL here. Look up the concepts 'supermesh' and 'supernode'.

Connect a resistor R across the a/b terminals. Solve the circuit leaving the resistor R as a symbolic variable. You will get a value for ix involving the variable R. Take the limit as R→0 and you will get the value for ix you already have. Allow R→∞ and get ix when the a/b terminals are open circuited. Knowing ix (and thus i), you can calculate the voltage drop across the 1Ω resistor in the left loop and then the voltage across a/b.

1. What is the difference between open circuit voltage and short circuit voltage?

Open circuit voltage (OCV) is the voltage measured across the terminals of a circuit when it is not connected to any load. On the other hand, short circuit voltage (SCV) is the voltage measured across the terminals of a circuit when it is connected to a load with zero resistance. In other words, OCV is the maximum voltage a circuit can produce, while SCV is the minimum voltage.

2. How are open circuit voltage and short circuit voltage related?

Open circuit voltage and short circuit voltage are related by Ohm's law. The relationship between the two can be represented by the equation V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. As resistance decreases, current increases, resulting in a decrease in open circuit voltage and an increase in short circuit voltage.

3. Why is open circuit voltage important?

Open circuit voltage is important because it represents the maximum amount of voltage that can be produced by a circuit. It is used to determine the overall potential of a circuit and is a crucial parameter in designing and analyzing electrical systems.

4. How is open circuit voltage measured?

Open circuit voltage can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit, and the resistance of the voltmeter is high enough to not affect the circuit's voltage. The reading on the voltmeter is the open circuit voltage of the circuit.

5. What factors affect open circuit voltage and short circuit voltage?

The main factor that affects open circuit voltage and short circuit voltage is the internal resistance of the circuit. Other factors that can affect these voltages include temperature, light intensity, and the type of material used in the circuit's components. Additionally, changes in the load resistance can also impact these voltages.