Open-Source Curricula for Self-Study & Collaboration

In summary, the conversation focused on the idea of creating a GitHub repository of book titles and problems for self-study in the field of statistics. The motivation behind this was the difficulty in finding a comprehensive plan for studying a topic beyond just book recommendations. The conversation also touched on the challenges of accessing expensive textbooks and the potential use of libraries and open access resources. The idea was seen as a potentially useful tool for self-study and could be expanded to cover other topics beyond statistics.
muraii
A few months ago I asked for recommendations for textbooks on generalized linear models. (Nevermind that I seem not to have actually asked anything.) I'm still in the same boat but am considering a different approach.

I mention in that I felt approaching practical (mostly work) and theoretical problems on my own was like "a random walk through the space of modelling techniques and undergirding theory." I've looked into graduate programs and tried to form working relationships with potential mentors, but my schedule and rural home make this somewhat difficult.

I'm thinking of going a different route. Imagine a GitHub repo consisting of book titles together with an interesting selection of problems, decided upon by the user group. If the initial repo focused on statistics, and built on a sequence from introductory probability to descriptive and inferential statistics to regression and generalized linear models and on to stochastic processes and Markov chains, this could serve a segment of the interested population. Several books could be detailed with a recommended order both of books and of chapters. The problem selection could be contributed to and decided upon by users via pull requests and the like. Maybe it includes hints for some of the harder problems, or links to relevant documentation.

This achieves an experiential parity for users. You and I, who happen to be working on the same section of the same book, can work together as we choose. A common set of materials helps us help each other and ourselves. It also stands as a resource for many of the questions you find in this forum regarding self-study plans and book recommendations. Book recommendations help, but having a body of other students available to mentor or share approaches improves upon that.

With this framework defined, the project could be forked for a different goal or curriculum. If someone wanted to include some of the texts but rather than progressing through statistics wanted to build out a plan for studying statistical mechanics or differential equations, that's easy enough. No work is wasted or duplicated.

I'm going to start fleshing some of this out for my own planning but if this strikes anyone's interest we could discuss how to make something like this work. The motivation is selfish: for any topic I can find five eagerly recommended books but developing a way of using the book, and a larger plan for progressing beyond the book, isn't so straightforward. By definition I don't know what I'm doing.

Maybe something like this already exists. I know there are the likes of Coursera, Udacity, etc., and I will be looking at them some more. I haven't found very much beyond the basic undergraduate work, however. This potentially allows for any arbitrary book, of any sophistication, to be made a shared learning experience in an ad hoc fashion.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Unfortunately the best textbooks are not Open Access. My favorite in the field that you may - seems to me - be looking at cost me US$85 for Edwin Thompson Jaynes' Probability Theory: The Logic of Science (Cambridge 2003). I would love to read more deeply in Bayesianism but it is expensive!

My core reading for some years now is Karl Popper. I had to wait two years for the one volume edition of 'Open Society', and am piece-mealing his 'Postscripts' one volume at a time, with one 200 page volume US$65.

MOOCS Coursera pimp the instructor's syllabus/coursebook at obscene prices.

Learn to use arXiv and SSRN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Access_Button

Greg, can I expect an explanation of a disappeared post of mine, in the 'fever' thread?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Thanks, Greg. Nothing new just yet, though I realize the proof is in the pudding. I can reword certainly, but I think two nigh-responseless posts on a similar topic point to the need for a new approach. In the spirit of the doocracy, I'm going to start work on an example--using Gelman's text--and see if it progresses how I think, see if it's actually useful to anyone. If so I'll see if it's a generalizable concept and go from there.

Doug Huffman said:
Unfortunately the best textbooks are not Open Access. My favorite in the field that you may - seems to me - be looking at cost me US$85 for Edwin Thompson Jaynes' Probability Theory: The Logic of Science (Cambridge 2003). I would love to read more deeply in Bayesianism but it is expensive!

My core reading for some years now is Karl Popper. I had to wait two years for the one volume edition of 'Open Society', and am piece-mealing his 'Postscripts' one volume at a time, with one 200 page volume US$65.

MOOCS Coursera pimp the instructor's syllabus/coursebook at obscene prices.

I certainly think the economics of the publishing machine make this approach challenging, but the fact is these books are available at various libraries with, in my experience, fairly liberal borrowing allowance. I've had Gelman's book checked out for a few months, have renewed it five times, and will continue to until I feel it's time to return it. Sure it requires more diligence than just buying the book but I think it's worth it. I'm going to see if others do, too.

[PLAIN]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Access_Button[/PLAIN]

Good point, but the issue here is I expect it's easier to find sufficient interest in working through a book commonly referenced and suggested to learners of many stripes than for pre-prints of myriad papers and technical articles. If something like this pans out, perhaps this can be built out, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am excited to see the idea of open-source curricula for self-study and collaboration being discussed. This approach has the potential to democratize education and make it more accessible to individuals who may not have the resources or opportunities to pursue traditional graduate programs.

The proposed GitHub repository for statistics is a great starting point, and I can see it being expanded to cover other subjects as well. I agree that having a common set of materials and a structured progression can greatly enhance the self-study experience and provide a platform for collaboration and mentorship.

I would also suggest incorporating interactive elements such as online forums or discussion boards where users can ask and answer questions, share their approaches and solutions, and engage in discussions with others. This would further enhance the experiential parity and create a sense of community among users.

I am not aware of any existing platforms that offer this level of flexibility and customization for self-study, so I believe this idea has great potential. I would be interested in discussing further on how to make this work and potentially contributing to the project.

In conclusion, I believe open-source curricula for self-study and collaboration have the potential to revolutionize the way we approach education and make it more inclusive and accessible. I look forward to seeing how this idea develops and evolves in the future.

What is open-source curriculum?

Open-source curriculum refers to educational materials that are freely available and can be modified, distributed, and used by anyone. This includes textbooks, lesson plans, and other resources that are typically created and shared by a community of educators.

How is open-source curriculum different from traditional curriculum?

Open-source curriculum differs from traditional curriculum in that it is not owned or controlled by a single entity, but rather created and shared by a community. It is also often freely available, whereas traditional curriculum may require a fee or subscription.

What are the benefits of using open-source curriculum?

Some benefits of using open-source curriculum include access to a wide range of resources and perspectives, the ability to modify and customize materials to fit specific needs, and the potential for collaboration and sharing among educators.

Are there any downsides to using open-source curriculum?

One potential downside of open-source curriculum is that the quality and accuracy of materials may vary, as they are often created and reviewed by a diverse group of individuals rather than a single author or publisher. Additionally, open-source materials may not align with specific standards or requirements set by educational institutions.

How can open-source curriculum be used for self-study and collaboration?

Open-source curriculum can be used for self-study and collaboration by providing access to high-quality, freely available educational materials. These materials can be used for individual learning, as well as for group projects and collaboration among learners and educators. Additionally, open-source platforms and tools can facilitate communication and sharing among individuals and groups working on the same curriculum.