Verifying Operator Equation: d^2/dx^2 - x^2 -1

• Thread starter sanitykey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the equation (d/dx + x)(d/dx - x) = d^2/dx^2 - x^2 -1 is being verified, with the attempt at a solution involving expanding the brackets and then applying the operator to the function f(x). The conclusion is that the final result is the same whether the operator is applied to the equation or the function itself.
sanitykey

Homework Statement

Verify the operator equation

(d/dx + x)(d/dx - x) = d^2/dx^2 - x^2 -1

(where d is meant to be the partial derivative symbol)

Homework Equations

None that are obvious to me?

The Attempt at a Solution

The truth is I'm not really sure how i should be going about this i tried expanding the brackets to get:

d^2/dx^2 + d/dx*x - d/dx*x - x^2

I didn't know whether having d/dx*x means i should differentiate or just leave it but i thought they'd cancel either way giving d^2/dx^2 - x^2 so where does the -1 come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't reorder things:

[tex]\left(\frac{d}{dx} + x\right)\left(\frac{d}{dx} - x\right) = \frac{d^2}{dx^2} + x \frac{d}{dx} - \frac{d}{dx}x - x^2[/tex]

Let your operator operate on something, like f(x). That will make what's going on much clearer.

I think i understand why it's important to keep the order so if i applied the operator to f(x) i think it'd become:

d^2/dx^2(f[x]) + x*d/dx(f[x]) - d/dx(x*f[x]) - x^2 *f[x]

f''(x) + x*f'(x) - {f(x) + x*f'(x)} - x^2 *f(x)

f''(x) + x*f'(x) - x*f'(x) - x^2 *f(x) - f(x)

f''(x) - x^2 *f(x) - f(x)

which is the same as if i'd done this to the function? d^2/dx^2 - x^2 -1

I think you are right.

Thanks for the help :)

Related to Verifying Operator Equation: d^2/dx^2 - x^2 -1

What does the operator equation d^2/dx^2 - x^2 -1 represent?

The operator equation d^2/dx^2 - x^2 -1 represents a second-order differential operator that acts on a function f(x) to yield the second derivative of f(x) minus x^2 - 1.

What is the purpose of verifying this operator equation?

The purpose of verifying this operator equation is to ensure that it accurately represents the desired mathematical operation and to check for any potential errors or mistakes in the equation.

How can one verify the validity of the operator equation d^2/dx^2 - x^2 -1?

One can verify the validity of the operator equation d^2/dx^2 - x^2 -1 by substituting different functions into the equation and confirming that the resulting output matches the expected second derivative minus x^2 - 1.

Are there any restrictions or limitations to using this operator equation?

There may be restrictions or limitations to using this operator equation, depending on the context in which it is being applied. For example, the function being operated on may need to be differentiable or the equation may only be valid for certain values of x.

What are some potential applications of this operator equation?

This operator equation has various applications in mathematical fields such as differential equations, calculus, and physics. It can be used to solve differential equations, analyze functions, and model physical systems.