Explore Banach Spaces and Bounded Linear Operators

In summary, the problem involves proving that the given map A is bounded by a specific value. The first part of the solution involves showing that ||A|| is bounded above by the proposed value of 1. The second part involves proving that ||A|| is also bounded below by 1, which can be achieved by finding a specific example where the norm is greater than or equal to 1. The fact that E is a Banach space is not necessary for this proof.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4844/56494936eo0.png

2. relevant equations
BL = bounded linear space (or all operators which are bounded).

The Attempt at a Solution

I got for the first part:

[tex]||A||_{BL} =||tf(t)||_{\infty} \leq ||f||_{\infty} [/tex] so

[tex] ||A||_{BL} \leq 1[/tex]

In second part I have to proof that: [tex] ||A||_{BL} \geq 1 [/tex] and thus the conclusion can be drawn.

But I'm stuck at how to use the fact that E is banach. (At least that's the one thing I haven't used yet so I presume I need it for the second part)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The general strategy for this is to prove that ||A|| is bounded below the proposed value, then find a single example where the norm is greater than or equal to the proposed value.

For example, if the map was f(t) -> 2f(t) we could show ||A||>=2 by citing the example f=1... |A(1)| = |2| = |2|*|1| and by definition this gives (assuming we've shown A is bounded) ||A||>=2.

Usually it's just guesswork to find this and doesn't require extra information. In this case try f = t

Office_Shredder said:
The general strategy for this is to prove that ||A|| is bounded below the proposed value, then find a single example where the norm is greater than or equal to the proposed value.

For example, if the map was f(t) -> 2f(t) we could show ||A||>=2 by citing the example f=1... |A(1)| = |2| = |2|*|1| and by definition this gives (assuming we've shown A is bounded) ||A||>=2.

Usually it's just guesswork to find this and doesn't require extra information. In this case try f = t

Yes that is clear but I'm worried that I might have to use the fact that E is banach. By the way you choose f(t)=t but why can't I choose for example f(t)=1 it is continuous and the supremum norm is one. Aren't there a lot possibilities for choosing this function?

There are a lot of possibilities for the function you pick...

The fact that E is Banach is unnecessary, but keep in mind though that you DID in fact use it when you chose not to prove that you're working over a normed vector space.

Office_Shredder said:
There are a lot of possibilities for the function you pick...

The fact that E is Banach is unnecessary, but keep in mind though that you DID in fact use it when you chose not to prove that you're working over a normed vector space.
If that's the case it would be unneccessary to put the exclamation sign there but my instructor DID so I'm probably missing something.

dirk_mec1 said:

Homework Statement

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4844/56494936eo0.png

2. relevant equations
BL = bounded linear space (or all operators which are bounded).

The Attempt at a Solution

I got for the first part:

[tex]||A||_{BL} =||tf(t)||_{\infty} \leq ||f||_{\infty} [/tex] so

[tex] ||A||_{BL} \leq 1[/tex]

In second part I have to proof that: [tex] ||A||_{BL} \geq 1 [/tex] and thus the conclusion can be drawn.

But I'm stuck at how to use the fact that E is banach. (At least that's the one thing I haven't used yet so I presume I need it for the second part)

what u write is wrong

So,

[tex]||A||_{BL} =sup{||A(f)||_{\infty} ,for ||f||_{\infty} \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex]=sup{||tf(t)||_{\infty} ,for ||f||_{\infty} \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex]=sup{|t|||f(t)||_{\infty} ,for ||f||_{\infty} \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex]\leq sup{|t|||f|_{\infty}|t| ,for ||f||_{\infty} \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex]\leq 1 [/tex]

Now consider [tex] f^*(t)=-t+1 [/tex] for all t in [0,1] => [tex] ||f^*||_{\infty}=1 [/tex]

notice that [tex] f^*(t)[/tex] is continuous in [0,1] and [tex] f(1)=0 [/tex]

also

[tex] 1=||A(f^*)||_{\infty} \leq ||A||_{BL}||f^*||_{\infty}=||A||_{BL}[/tex]

enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Banach space?

A Banach space is a complete normed vector space, meaning it contains all of its limit points and has a defined norm (or size) for its vectors. It was named after the mathematician Stefan Banach and is an important concept in functional analysis.

2. How are Banach spaces related to linear operators?

Banach spaces are often used to study linear operators, which are functions that map a vector space to itself in a linear way. Bounded linear operators in Banach spaces are particularly useful for studying the properties of these operators and their associated equations.

3. What is the importance of studying bounded linear operators?

Bounded linear operators are important because they allow us to analyze and solve a wide range of mathematical problems, including differential equations, optimization problems, and statistical models. They also have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can you give an example of a bounded linear operator in a Banach space?

One example of a bounded linear operator is the differentiation operator, which maps a function to its derivative. This operator is bounded because it preserves the size of the function, and it is linear because it satisfies the properties of linearity (such as the product rule).

5. How are Banach spaces and bounded linear operators used in real-world applications?

Banach spaces and bounded linear operators are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as image and signal processing, data compression, and control theory. They are also important in the study of quantum mechanics and quantum computing. Additionally, they have applications in finance, economics, and statistics for modelling and analyzing complex systems.