1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operator norm

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. relevant equations
    BL = bounded linear space (or all operators which are bounded).

3. The attempt at a solution

I got for the first part:

[tex]||A||_{BL} =||tf(t)||_{\infty} \leq ||f||_{\infty} [/tex] so

[tex] ||A||_{BL} \leq 1[/tex]

In second part I have to proof that: [tex] ||A||_{BL} \geq 1 [/tex] and thus the conclusion can be drawn.

But I'm stuck at how to use the fact that E is banach. (At least that's the one thing I haven't used yet so I presume I need it for the second part)
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The general strategy for this is to prove that ||A|| is bounded below the proposed value, then find a single example where the norm is greater than or equal to the proposed value.

For example, if the map was f(t) -> 2f(t) we could show ||A||>=2 by citing the example f=1... |A(1)| = |2| = |2|*|1| and by definition this gives (assuming we've shown A is bounded) ||A||>=2.

Usually it's just guesswork to find this and doesn't require extra information. In this case try f = t
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    Yes that is clear but I'm worried that I might have to use the fact that E is banach. By the way you choose f(t)=t but why can't I choose for example f(t)=1 it is continuous and the supremum norm is one. Aren't there a lot possibilities for choosing this function?
  5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are a lot of possibilities for the function you pick...

The fact that E is Banach is unnecessary, but keep in mind though that you DID in fact use it when you chose not to prove that you're working over a normed vector space.
  6. Dec 10, 2008 #5
    If that's the case it would be unneccessary to put the exclamation sign there but my instructor DID so I'm probably missing something.
  7. Apr 3, 2011 #6
    what u write is wrong

[tex]||A||_{BL} =sup{||A(f)||_{\infty} ,for ||f||_{\infty} \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex]=sup{||tf(t)||_{\infty} ,for ||f||_{\infty} \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex]=sup{|t|||f(t)||_{\infty} ,for ||f||_{\infty} \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex]\leq sup{|t|||f|_{\infty}|t| ,for ||f||_{\infty} \leq 1 [/tex]

[tex]\leq 1 [/tex]

Now consider [tex] f^*(t)=-t+1 [/tex] for all t in [0,1] => [tex] ||f^*||_{\infty}=1 [/tex]

notice that [tex] f^*(t)[/tex] is continuous in [0,1] and [tex] f(1)=0 [/tex]

[tex] 1=||A(f^*)||_{\infty} \leq ||A||_{BL}||f^*||_{\infty}=||A||_{BL}[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?