Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes

In summary, Oppenheimer's lecture notes from 1939 on QM still exist and can be found at three different locations.
mach4
I was wondering whether Oppenheimer's legendary QM lecture notes still exist and can be found somewhere.

I only found the content of theses lectures at
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/Exhibits/physics/learning03.html

I assume Bohm's book ``Quantum Theory" from 1951 must contain some of the material as he was one of his students.

Physics news on Phys.org
Great - Thanks!
It is a pity that they are not published.

mach4 said:
I was wondering whether Oppenheimer's legendary QM lecture notes still exist and can be found somewhere.

I only found the content of theses lectures at
http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/Exhibits/physics/learning03.html

I assume Bohm's book ``Quantum Theory" from 1951 must contain some of the material as he was one of his students.

Are You still looking for these notes? I think I have them. They are from my father, whose Uncle was a close friend and associate of Prof. Oppenheimer. I will not reveal anymore information than that at this time But if there is a glimmer of interest may be willing to provide more details on the ephemera and books I inherited from my Father who was also a physicist. All I will say is that my father graduated from Iowa State University with is where his uncle was when he died.

I'd gladly pay for reproduction and mailing costs to get a copy of those notes. I suspect that Schiff's book is a close copy, but I would like to make the comparison.

strixfinearts said:
... But if there is a glimmer of interest may be willing to provide more details on the ephemera and books I inherited from my Father ...
Who wouldn't be interested? :approve:

although new to the forums.. l would love to have a copy, though l reside in Australia, Those lecture notes are the first introduction to QM... and everything since has been from those.

I can hardly believe this. There are very early excellent books on QT, among them Sommerfeld's famous "Wellenmechanischer Ergänzungsband" (1929) and Dirac's "The Principles of Quantum mechanics" (1930). Are there lecture notes by Oppenheimer earlier than this?

Likes Demystifier

1. What are Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes?

Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes refer to a set of lecture notes on quantum mechanics written by J. Robert Oppenheimer, one of the leading scientists of the Manhattan Project. These notes provide insights into Oppenheimer's understanding of quantum mechanics and his approach to teaching the subject.

2. When were Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes written?

Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes were written in the late 1920s and early 1930s, during Oppenheimer's time as a professor at the University of California, Berkeley. These notes were used in his courses on quantum mechanics and were constantly updated as he continued to develop his understanding of the subject.

3. Are Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes still relevant today?

Yes, Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes are still relevant today. Although they were written nearly a century ago, the concepts and principles presented in these notes are still foundational in the study of quantum mechanics. Many modern textbooks and courses still reference Oppenheimer's notes as a valuable resource for understanding the subject.

4. How can I access Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes?

Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes are available online through various sources, such as the University of California, Berkeley's website and the Los Alamos National Laboratory's digital archives. They can also be found in print form in libraries or purchased through online booksellers.

5. What can I learn from Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes?

Oppenheimer's QM lecture notes provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of quantum mechanics. They cover topics such as wave mechanics, quantum states, and the Schrödinger equation, among others. Additionally, these notes offer insight into Oppenheimer's thought process and approach to teaching, making them a valuable resource for understanding the development of quantum mechanics as a field of study.