Self-Study Graduate Quantum Theory with Sakurai: Lecture Notes and Resources

In summary: Sakurai's book.In summary, the individual is looking for lecture notes to supplement their self-study of graduate level quantum theory using Sakurai's book. They mention finding handwritten notes by Prof. Taylor on MIT's opencourseware and ask for a typed version. Another person recommends checking out the Feynman Lectures on Physics for a different perspective. The individual also mentions that they are feeling comfortable with Sakurai's book and do not want to switch to another book. Another person recommends Shankar's book and McIntyre's Quantum Mechanics as a supplement to Sakurai's book.
maNoFchangE
Hello science buddies,

This is my first post in this forum. Ok let me get to the point directly, currently I self-study graduate level quantum theory and the main book I'm using is Sakurai's. But I think for self studying it's better to also have a look at lecture notes, first because it's much shorter and second lecture notes can serve as an outline that contains topics taught in most university. From lecture notes, I can decide which points I should put more stress on over the others. So can somebody please direct me the links of lecture notes with the main reference on Sakurai's book? I have found one on MIT's opencourseware by Prof. Taylor but his lecture notes are handwritten, if possible I want a typed one.
Actually I have been feeling I can already get along with this book so I prefer not to switch to another book.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what the lecture using Sakurai's book is, but I can definitely recommend you check out the Feynman Lectures on Physics if you want a bit of a different perspective.

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Shankar's book is much much better for self-study, IMO. McIntyre is a good companion to Sakurai though.

Can you please write the complete title of this book from McIntyre?

Niflheim said:
I don't know what the lecture using Sakurai's book is, but I can definitely recommend you check out the Feynman Lectures on Physics if you want a bit of a different perspective.

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Feynman's lectures are below graduate level.

Cruz Martinez said:
Feynman's lectures are below graduate level.

Yeah, but they're still good for review and filling in knowledge gaps or anything

Quantum Mechanics by McIntyre

Related to Self-Study Graduate Quantum Theory with Sakurai: Lecture Notes and Resources

1. What is "Self-Study Graduate Quantum Theory with Sakurai: Lecture Notes and Resources"?

"Self-Study Graduate Quantum Theory with Sakurai: Lecture Notes and Resources" is a comprehensive study guide for graduate students interested in learning quantum theory using the textbook "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J.J. Sakurai. It includes lecture notes, practice problems, and additional resources to aid in self-study.

2. Do I need to have prior knowledge in quantum theory to use this resource?

Yes, it is recommended that users have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and mathematics before using this resource. It is designed for graduate students who are already familiar with the fundamentals of quantum theory.

3. Can this resource be used as a replacement for a traditional course on quantum theory?

No, this resource is meant to supplement and enhance understanding of quantum theory but cannot replace a traditional course. It is best used as a self-study tool in conjunction with a course or textbook.

4. Are the lecture notes and practice problems in this resource comprehensive?

Yes, the lecture notes and practice problems in this resource cover all the major topics in quantum theory, including foundations, mathematical formalism, and applications. However, it is always recommended to consult with a professor or textbook for a more in-depth understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any additional resources included in this study guide?

Yes, this resource includes links to helpful videos, online simulations, and other resources to supplement learning. It also includes tips and strategies for self-study and understanding difficult concepts.